Coping with loss of testosterone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This will be familiar to any blokes in their mid-forties.

I've just tuned 52 and although I'm fit I find that my muscles are wasting away, my once firm pecs are turning to boobs, I put on weight easily, my eye-to-hand coordination is deteriorating, I haven't got the energy I once had, I tire easily and I seldom get erections; all inevitable consequences of declining testosterone levels.

It doesn't really bother me as I see it as part of growing old but I would like to maintain better muscle tone and bulk, so I have thought about asking my doc for some testosterone. I know this has overtones of body-building and is probably dangerous if done without medical supervision, but does anybody else have experience of this? Would a GP consider giving testosterone to someone who seriously wanted to maintain athletic fitness? I knew a bloke who had his testicles removed and was given a patch to prevent him becoming feminised.

Keith Oates

Janner
Rigid Raider said:
This will be familiar to any blokes in their mid-forties.

I've just tuned 52 and although I'm fit I find that my muscles are wasting away, my once firm pecs are turning to boobs, I put on weight easily, my eye-to-hand coordination is deteriorating, I haven't got the energy I once had, I tire easily and I seldom get erections; all inevitable consequences of declining testosterone levels.

It doesn't really bother me as I see it as part of growing old but I would like to maintain better muscle tone and bulk, so I have thought about asking my doc for some testosterone. I know this has overtones of body-building and is probably dangerous if done without medical supervision, but does anybody else have experience of this? Would a GP consider giving testosterone to someone who seriously wanted to maintain athletic fitness? I knew a bloke who had his testicles removed and was given a patch to prevent him becoming feminised.

Could they not have just stitched him up instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

betty swollocks

large member
Go push a few weights. Lots of repetitions will tone you up without putting on bulk.
As for tiring easily and not getting erections: go see a doctor, else you'll have to change your user name to 'Flaccid Raider'!
Seriously though: get your blood checked and make sure you're not anaemic. Make sure you're eating right and drinking plenty of water.
I'm the same age as you, recently got myself back into riding fixed and am, rather gratifyingly, blasting up those hills as quickly as ever I used to.
We are too young to be old!

NickM

Veteran
I'm 51, and while I do feel more chronically tired than I used to, I put that down to the spiritual wear and tear associated with constant attendance at bloody work (hawk, spit).

A good holiday helps with that, and I don't have the rest of your symptoms (although my eyesight has gone to pot, which has rather taken the pleasure out of working on bikes). It sounds as though a visit to your doctor is called for, as long as s/he is one with a sympathetic ear. Who knows, there may be a better solution than supplementary testosterone.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If the doc won't give you the testosterone you could always change your name to Limp Raider:biggrin:

Seriously though, I'm 53 and while I suppose I'm not the man I was, I feel fit as a butcher's dog and still get easily aroused so perhaps it's something else RR.

There's no doubt that age catches us all up slowly. At 45 I feel pretty good but if I ever doubt that I'm older I need simply look back to when I was 30 and compare and contrast.

Gone are the days when I could, down a good few scoops, get up the next day and cycle/walk/climb with no ill effect. Recovery time is required these days as is a build up to fitness, no just doing it anymore. I creak too :ohmy: Knees need rest and the joints need a bit of a stretch.

I'm like an old engine; keep me going and I'll run forever. Stop me and leave me and I'lll slowly seize up. It then takes a complete rebuild to get me going again ;)

I'd get a full health check RR. Some of those things could be symptomatic of other things, including stress which only needs to be mild to remove your libido and make you feel tired.

NickM

Veteran
Crackle said:
There's no doubt that age catches us all up slowly. At 45 I feel pretty good but if I ever doubt that I'm older I need simply look back to when I was 30 and compare and contrast.

Gone are the days when I could, down a good few scoops, get up the next day and cycle/walk/climb with no ill effect. Recovery time is required these days as is a build up to fitness, no just doing it anymore...

I did my all-time 10 mile PB when I was 47 after several years of trying and failing to improve it, so there is hope :ohmy:

But I know what you mean about "not just doing it" - my first race of this year, on an inadequate base, nearly wasted me ;)

This is interesting...essentially you're talking about the male menopause. They never hesitate to give women hormone supplements to get them through it so I don't see why there isn't a male equivalent. Definitely talk to your doc and see what the options are.

See the doc Flaccid Raider, I'm 46, smoke too much, drink to excess and have a bollock missing and although I don't have the libido as I had in my youth (so to speak) I can still fling woo every day. It's not your age.

domtyler

Über Member
If you want to go down the DIY route there are plenty of places on the internet who will sell you whatever supplements you want. A quick google turns up no end of hits.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
If you want to go down the DIY route there are plenty of places on the internet who will sell you whatever supplements you want. A quick google turns up no end of hits.

And even if they are actually sugar pills, the placebo effect works wonders.

If I could offer another feminine viewpoint, I'd get yourself checked over if you're noticing a big difference, I've known (ahem) older chaps who had no issues of the libido sort.

ChrisKH

Guru
This is very honest of you RR, given that you are a man (I say that advisedly as men don't generally want to talk about their problems, etc.) but very refreshing to hear. To be honest I noticed the onset of muscle wasting (especially upper body) in my early forties and just put it down to 'old' age. I was already a physical basket case having played too much rugby and I think giving this up in my late 30's contributed to the decline. What I do notice is that my testosterone levels are all over the place (in relation to libido) and I can go for a week without thinking about it and then get surges and I'm a 17 year old again (or wish I was).

If you find out that there is HRT for men let me know. I'll be first in line. ;)

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Flacid Raider....Limp Raider.... I might have known I was inviting a few jokes! I'm still chortling into my morning coffee. Thanks anyway for the comments and yes, I'll report back to the forum on my findings. Whatever I do, it won't be from some dodgy internet site; I would want it to be under my doctor's supervision or not at all.

Top Bottom