Cordless electric lawn mowers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Does the panel have a view?

Loads of online review sites but real-world experience is better.

Not looking for anything fancy just something to deal with modestly sized urban lawns.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Couldn't recommend the G-tech one as very disappointed with other G-tech products we've had, but bought a Makita one last year on a friend's recommendation, because I can use the 2 batteries on other fittings- make sure you buy the batteries and the charger unit as part of the package as they are more expensive when bought separately... it has enough charge to easily do the front and back grass on one charge.

Only down size is the lowest setting isn't as low a cut as the Flymo electric corded mower it replaced, so it isn't as neat, but we've got used to it. Check the cut height is what you need..

I have Erbauer cordless mower, strimmer, and hedge trimmer ( and other drill/drivers etc) and have found them great. Maybe a little costly to begin with, but having now a multi battery charger and 6 batteries, we can do anything we like with them,
Batteries last for front and back lawns.
It’s so light and easy, Fantastic not to mess around with a cable - it’s so ‘freeing’, and now Mrs SnG does the mowing!

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
A mate of mine has one and says its great BUT his garden is not big by any means.
I thought about one but our gardens are (I think) too big.
And...... cheap they aint

Zanelad

Guru
We've had a Worx cordless mower for a couple of years. Very pleased with it. Does our front and back lawns 4 times before needing charging. Picks up wet grass, which the Hayter we had before simply wouldn't.

I find the cordless mower much better to use. Plenty powerful enough even for the first cut of the yesr. I'm putting that off as I cannot bring myself to cut the grass in February, even though plenty of neighbours have been doing so this weekend.

johnblack

Über Member
I don't have the mower, but I do have the Black and Decker 36v strimmer and hedge trimmer, they are ace, very powerful and damn convenient. If the mower matches up it would be a good 'un.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have had a Bosch Rotak cordless mower for 5 years now, at that time, it cost about £325. No problems, and still going. The battery lasts long enough to cut front lawn and rear lawn, twice, without recharging, I would estimate the combined lawn size at 170square Metres. I also have Bosch Cordless hedge trimers, again, after about four years, no complaints.

One point... I would suggest, if you plan to have a range of cordless garden tools (eg mower, trimmer, hedge trimmer, etc), to consider that if you choose from single brand, you may be able to "share" the charger (and, possibly battery), and, hence, save you from filling your shed/garage with chargers!

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Another vote for a Bosch Rotak Li, I have had one for over 10 years, still going strong and on it's original battery. Parts are plentiful, in fact I just managed to break the control bar due to my clumsiness. I tried to glue it and failed, I thought I would never get a part, but from Bosch themselves it is £17 delivered. I don't know of many companies keeping a cheap supply of parts for more than 10 year old products. I think @JhnBssll works for them, he may even have helped design my mower.

keithmac

Guru
We have the Gtech CLM 2.0 and it's excellent. I bought their Hedge Cutter 3.0 soon after and same again, excellent bit of kit.

We've also got their MK2 K9 vacuum cleaners and my Ebike.

All bought on theire own merits and all very well built.

The Lawnmower was a close one though, think Bosch was in the running too. The Lawnmowers that use twin batteries look a bit pony to my eyes.

JhnBssll

Veteran
As @Milkfloat says I work for Bosch and quite possibly helped design his mower :laugh: Clearly I'm going to be biased but I see daily the time and effort that goes in to designing and testing our machines so I'm more than happy to recommend them :okay: I don't work on the lawnmower side anymore, I'm lead engineer for the handheld stuff and shredders these days so spend my days playing with chainsaw and the like :okay::laugh: I'm not sold on the twin battery machines, they'll always run to the worst or lowest charged battery which is a pretty major limitation as the batteries age IMO. Bosch 36V tools batteries are largely interchangeable, only on older stuff might there be some limitations as we were first in the 36V Lithium Ion game over a decade ago, but if you're only now buying in to a battery system you should find everything works together fine :okay: Happy to answer any questions if its useful, I've probably tested most of the machines on the market at one point or another, or can ask someone who's taken them apart for competitor assessment :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is one big drawback with cordless lawn mowers - they don't have the built-in anti-theft device...

My sister put her lawnmower on her front lawn, unreeled the cable, and took the end of the cable indoors to plug it in. The next thing, the plug was pulled out of her hands. She ran outside and found a pair of dodgy geezers about to sling the mower on top of a pile of 'scrap' on the back of their vehicle! They claimed to genuinely believe that a mower on a lawn with a cable going indoors had been left out for the 'scrappies' to collect... :whistle:
:laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A Bosch Rotak has given good service for 10 years at my static caravan.

The lowest setting isn't very low, so not so good if you want a lawn to rival Wimbledon.

JhnBssll

Veteran
A Bosch Rotak has given good service for 10 years at my static caravan.

The lowest setting isn't very low, so not so good if you want a lawn to rival Wimbledon.

Some models have a spacer in the slot that the height of cut lever slides in, this can be removed for a lower cut if its still in place. Worth checking, although after 10 years you would likely have spotted it :laugh: Realistically though if you want a wimbledon-like lawn you need a cylinder mower, not a rotary :okay: I used to work on the old Atco machines back when we still owned the brand, they were awesome bits of kit :becool:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The biggest advantage with the Makita cordless range is that you can use the same battery/batteries for all the tools. We quite like the Makita but don't have the lawn mower as I don't think it would work very well on nearly 6 acres of rough land/field. :laugh:

Top Bottom