Cordless electric lawn mowers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
As @Milkfloat says I work for Bosch and quite possibly helped design his mower :laugh: Clearly I'm going to be biased but I see daily the time and effort that goes in to designing and testing our machines so I'm more than happy to recommend them :okay: I don't work on the lawnmower side anymore, I'm lead engineer for the handheld stuff and shredders these days so spend my days playing with chainsaw and the like :okay::laugh: I'm not sold on the twin battery machines, they'll always run to the worst or lowest charged battery which is a pretty major limitation as the batteries age IMO. Bosch 36V tools batteries are largely interchangeable, only on older stuff might there be some limitations as we were first in the 36V Lithium Ion game over a decade ago, but if you're only now buying in to a battery system you should find everything works together fine :okay: Happy to answer any questions if its useful, I've probably tested most of the machines on the market at one point or another, or can ask someone who's taken them apart for competitor assessment :laugh:

In my working life I repaired a multitude of electrical equipment, from the teeny tiny to the quite large. Some of it was domestic, or "hobby" stuff that we'd often take a look at if we were quiet, and do for nowt if an elderly person brought it in ( on condition that they never told their friends )
One very unusual item was a motor/gearbox that was brought in to us by some people who were rebuilding a Focke Wulf 192 ( I think it was ) that had been purchased by an American enthusiast from the Russians where the plane had been shot down during WW2.
It was in a bit of a state but internally the Pancake gearbox was in pristine condition. Not so the small electric motor to which it was attached which powered one of the under carrriage doors. This was completely burnt out and so it was with some trepidation that I dismantled it and traced the windings and circuitry. There was no data plate on it but I spotted a logo that had been stamped on the motor carcass, it was the Bosch logo.
It did briefly cross my mind to phone up the UK office and enquire as to the availability of spares, but I resisted the temptation.

Another vote for Bosch Rotak, old mower was heavy and difficult to push for wife when I was away. Got the bosch, long battery life, light and even my 10 year old cuts lawn now for pocket money.

Sharky

Guru
Any updated views on cordless lawnmowers? Any current bargains?

My corded flymo has finally deceased, so will be off to B&q or Wickes tomorrow.

Jameshow

Veteran
A Bosch Rotak has given good service for 10 years at my static caravan.

The lowest setting isn't very low, so not so good if you want a lawn to rival Wimbledon.

I miss my Bosch roteck 10 years abuse from me till the belt jumped and burnt itself into the motor housing!

Have a Flymo 330 hovernot carp....

cycling_eejit

Über Member
I have limited space in my shed and our old petrol lawnmower took up most of it. When it finally gave up last autumn I got a Flymo Easistore mower and happy with it so far.
Easy to maneuver, light and takes up very little space (extra space now taken up by a new bike). Less than 15 mins to do our lawn today. Another bonus is when I miss a few cuts and herself is complaining she can manage it easily enough.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The advert doing the rounds on the TV says it does 150sq m. On a single charge. Which isn’t a very big garden. Especially if you have front and back lawns.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
battery mower and several spare batteries would be my only solution if nothing else . Fine for small gardens. My current petrol mower is a bit hammered and if replacing I’m likely to buy another.

I’ve seen a few of the robotic ones in folks gardens of late ? How long do they last on battery ?

Sharky

Guru
I bought Bosch Rotak 34, corded lawnmower. I looked in B&Q at the cordless ones and was put off by the runtimes. Some only 10mins. Best were 30 to 40 mins, but were three times the price of a corded one.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm just throwing this into the mix. I bought a push/cylinder mower 3 years ago for £50. Much better cut, never runs out of battery. My lawn used to resemble A tennis court. Not good for overgrown lawns though, but I have a strimmer

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I'm just throwing this into the mix. I bought a push/cylinder mower 3 years ago for £50. Much better cut, never runs out of battery. My lawn used to resemble A tennis court. Not good for overgrown lawns though, but I have a strimmer

Yep I’m heading that way I think !

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
battery mower and several spare batteries would be my only solution if nothing else . Fine for small gardens. My current petrol mower is a bit hammered and if replacing I’m likely to buy another.

I’ve seen a few of the robotic ones in folks gardens of late ? How long do they last on battery ?

My son-in-law has just bought himself one of those, not sure of the brand.

Not speaking from personal knowledge/experience, but, as far as I know, it more or less operates continually. It roams the garden, and returns automatically to the docking station, when it requires charging. Again, as far as I know, the limiting factor is, it will only operate in a defined contiguous area, so, for example, it cannot mow the front lawn, then, toddle down the path to the rear garden and mow that lawn.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I wasn't aware that such item's existed, but I've just taken a trip down the rabbit hole of reviews of various models. A couple of them brought to mind the TV program " Robot Wars " .

Top Bottom