Cordless Lawnmowers?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Our Flymo is not long for this world but it's been a great mower.

Was considering a cordless mower for our next one.

I'm a fan of the Gtech kit and am leaning towards there 1st Gen lawnmower but was just wondering what other people have got?.

Are there any cordless mowers on here, what have you got and would you buy it again?.

It's not a massive lawn so no need for a petrol one..

Cheers all!.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have had a Bosch Rotak for many years, I think at least 7. Still on the same battery that has performed faultlessly. All I have done is sharpen and change the blade. It was expensive at the time, but far, far better than any of my previous mowers. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Flymo 40V 2aH battery £148 I'd get this one, or there's an Einhell one for £99 at Toolstation which has good reviews.

I have a cheapo corded one and it's rubbish. The blades and motor are fine, it's just everything else that's poorly designed, poor quality plastic etc. The collector box is now held together with cable ties. It's a poor fit anyway. I've heard Flymo have gone the same way as many brands now, you're paying for the brand but not getting the once-envied quality of Flymo. but I guess you get what you pay for. The Makita ones are also highly rated but bare units only are upwards of £200 and then you have to buy a battery.

byegad

Legendary Member
Greenworks 40v twin pack here. A mower, and Strimmer and two batteries. Now into their third year of operation. They simply do the job.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Bosch is top kit thats for sure but of course I am slightly biased, being a product development engineer for Bosch garden tools :laugh: We were the first to develop Li mowers and our electronics are cutting edge. You can buy cheaper machines, but you won't buy better ones :okay: I could say more about all of the competitors mentioned as I've tested and stripped down a lot of their machines but it wouldn't be very professional :shy:

How big is your 'small lawn'? I'd be happy to advise a suitable Bosch mower :okay:

That said, I'm sure some of the cheaper alternatives would do the job, cordless technology has come a long way in the last decade so you won't be disappointed.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Greenworks is the DIY brand of Globe, a chinese manufacturer that we used to deal with. Majority share now owned by Stihl. Good products on the whole, certainly some of the better garden stuff to come out of China :okay:

postman

Legendary Member
Can someone answer my question.We have a small lawn and have a Bosch Rotak i think it's a 34-13 it has five settings but for me it does not cut low enough.You are lucky to top daisies with it. Can i put another plastic spacer in it like our old flymo,which i also hated because of the sweeping up afterwards.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Do you mean a spacer between the blades and the shaft housing? I don't see why not - there seem to be some Bosch spacers online or you could make your own. As long as you have enough thread left. I've also tried putting a bag of sand or soemthing ehavy on the mower, seems to work quite well too!

JhnBssll

Veteran
Please don't modify your lawnmower :ohmy: Fitting of blade spacers etc will negate lots of safety testing that's been done during development, its a pretty bad idea if you like your ankles. The spacers you see online are replacement parts for specific lawnmowers that already have one fitted, not for changing the blade height. We see some nasty stuff from people trying to 'improve' their machines :sad: Unfortunately the height of cut settings are what they are, although making the machine heavier isn't a terrible idea if done safely :excl:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Can someone answer my question.We have a small lawn and have a Bosch Rotak i think it's a 34-13 it has five settings but for me it does not cut low enough.You are lucky to top daisies with it. Can i put another plastic spacer in it like our old flymo,which i also hated because of the sweeping up afterwards.

This might be because my Rotak is old, but I have a plastic spacer that can be removed to access lower settings. To be honest I keep it high, especially at this time of year as I want to keep my grass green rather than scorched and brown. I popped out to take before and after photos.

20200616_090557333_iOS.jpg
20200616_090638062_iOS.jpg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have a corded Bosch Rotak 34. It's Chinese shite, so flimsy that it only just about works. They didn't slash the price when they offshored it, did they?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'd recommend NOT buying a G-Tech... I am really disappointed with the battery life on the hedge trimmer I got- the first year was great but second year, useless, and their vacuum parts, though cleverly put together, are really flimsy.

Just talked to someone yesterday about replacing their lawnmower by coincidence- they've just got a Makita 2x5ah battery powered one and they love it.

You can get mowers from battery systems such as Ryobi. If you already use a system it may make sense to stick with it.

Top Bottom