Can you cut a U-bolt with a forty quid cordless angle grinder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Knew I shouldn't have taken it, but long story short...

photo_2023-11-12_13-07-25.jpg

The key won't go in and that's that. I've tried the WD-40 and the wiggling and the poking and prodding with a brace of small screwdrivers 'to align the disks' (:scratch:) and the key-wiggling and the key will only go two thirds of the way in and that's not enough. So, having been in this situation once before, my thoughts naturally turn to angle-grinders. My go to guy for cordless angle grinders is no longer my go to guy because you can go but he won't be there, so I'm looking down the barrels of a forced purchase scenario.

I really don't need anything fancy. I don't need anything beyond the ability to cut this u-bolt, this once. Anything more is bunce. But if I bought, say, this, for forty odd quid, would it actually do the job?

Oh, it's an Abus lock, so not a lump of shoddy, but entry level rather than premium. It was a temporary fix after Italian Airport Security seized my old lock. Bad move.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Cut a neat slot in the mild steel tree guard
Carry locked bike to the comfort of your shed
Continue to oil and wiggle (your lock) until it is free, or until you've saved up for a better grinder

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Don't the police or council remove *abandoned* and locked cycles? Have a word with them when the open. They may have suitable cutting gear.

There are a number of Police auctions where bikes such as yours get sold off on Ebay. Some nice ones too.

Perhaps it will end up here soon

https://www.bumblebeeauctions.co.uk/XcAPViewInCat.asp?ID=24

I'd heard the police would help people in this situation, but further googling suggests they really wouldn't. It probably doesn't help that it's on private land - if it was locked to a lamppost it would be different, but it's in Sainsbury's car park. I'm thinking the angle-grinder is my only real option.

alicat

Legendary Member
Cut a neat slot in the mild steel tree guard
Personally I wouldn't. It's someone else's property, it will leave a jagged edge for someone to be injured on and at worse it could bring a charge of criminal damage.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Have you tried a hacksaw on it? You might be horrified at how soft it actually is, but pleased at the same time. I would try the part encased in green plastic too in case the walls are thinner than you’d normally hope. It won’t cost you anything to find out.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd heard the police would help people in this situation, but further googling suggests they really wouldn't. It probably doesn't help that it's on private land - if it was locked to a lamppost it would be different, but it's in Sainsbury's car park. I'm thinking the angle-grinder is my only real option.

In which case go in and talk to customer services in Sainsbury's. An interesting case will make their day. However I doubt they will be of any use.

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I wouldn't. It's someone else's property, it will leave a jagged edge for someone to be injured on and at worse it could bring a charge of criminal damage.

Weird, I got a notification that you quoted me…I’ve not posted on this thread at all :wacko:

gbb

Legendary Member
Assuming you did try to cut it with a cordless grinder...as Classic33 states, the disc is just as important. A 1mm slitting disc is ideal, but they're fragile and take a steady hand. Appropriate eye wear is a must, particually as they're so thin...and fragile.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur

A well-placed 1mm slot in the tree guard, deflect the bar with a length of 3x2 enough to release the lock. Ease the bar back. No jagged edges, no drama. Saves the shop another headache.

Top Bottom