Can you cut a U-bolt with a forty quid cordless angle grinder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Did you say it was Sainsbury's car park? I would inform the security guard on the door, or customer services if there's no guard, inform them what you are doing and if they're any good they will ask for your name and address. Wear a high-viz jacket or vest and no-one will bat an eyelid! Seriously though, wear thick gloves, a thick jacket and eye/face protection. The 1mm disc should get through it, but I've nearly come a cropper with those if they suddenly bind up and fling off towards your hands it can be a bit scary. I'm sure there are other ways I've seen using a bottle jack (if you have enough clearance and all the gear). Might be worth asking the police if they can help, but if they can't then at least you've told all parties what you're up to

grldtnr

A bottle jack to force the lock will work, also brute force with a heavy blunt instrument , on the lock end, with a suitable anvil underneath will do also.
Which isn't so easy.
End game, is it worth the retrieval, a £40 angle grinder might get through, but you will need to find the weakest link then attack it.
Of the frame is worth it to you then citti g it is the best way, otherwise recover parts which you can, then sacrifice the frame.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Of the frame is worth it to you then citti g it is the best way, otherwise recover parts which you can, then sacrifice the frame.
I thought that too. Looking back at the OP I'm not sure that frame is worth much. But there are other considerations like the hassle and time of sourcing a new frame and swapping parts over. Inevitable expense for replacing parts that prove unswappable for whatever reason. And the back wheel would have to be sacrificed too. Also it could be awkward removing some parts in situ. I suppose you could hacksaw the frame.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It will cost more than £40.00 when you factor in all the rest as well, such as gloves, eye mask etc. Just ask someone to help you out?

Dadam

I have that same D lock, although I rarely use it now as it's only Sold Secure silver (or maybe bronze I can't remember), and my insurance for the e-bikes stipulates Gold. I can't remember having that issue though, but a few thoughts:

Have you looked closely down the lock for foreign objects? It's not unknown for toe rags to jam locks so they can come back and take the bike later at their leisure, although usually for more obviously expensive bikes. Or could just be grit etc.

Is your key worn or bent? Do you have the spare? If so worth tryingh both keys.

You've tried WD 40 which is good for flushing out dirt and old claggy grease, but not great for lubrication. It's worth soaking it with 3-in-1 or engine oil for a while.

I had this very same issue, disc misalignment preventing the key going in, with a Kryptonite chain lock I use for bikes in the garage. Only a few months old and only used in the garage but the key just Would. Not. Go. In. I was panicking that I'd have to buy a grinder. I added some oil to no avail. Then I tried again an hour later and after a bit of jiggling the key went in and touch wood it's been ok since.

Perhaps the screwdrivers weren't quite thin enough to get to the end discs, worth trying something thinner, maybe even a straightened paperclip.

Finally perhaps one of the lockpicking tools like LockPickingLawyer uses might be cheaper and certainly less destructive than a grinder. I know very little about lockpicking but watched a few videos. You wouldn't have to do the full picking of course, just align the discs which always seems to be LPL's first step.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have that same D lock, although I rarely use it now as it's only Sold Secure silver (or maybe bronze I can't remember), and my insurance for the e-bikes stipulates Gold. I can't remember having that issue though, but a few thoughts:

Have you looked closely down the lock for foreign objects? It's not unknown for toe rags to jam locks so they can come back and take the bike later at their leisure, although usually for more obviously expensive bikes. Or could just be grit etc.

Is your key worn or bent? Do you have the spare? If so worth tryingh both keys.

You've tried WD 40 which is good for flushing out dirt and old claggy grease, but not great for lubrication. It's worth soaking it with 3-in-1 or engine oil for a while.

I had this very same issue, disc misalignment preventing the key going in, with a Kryptonite chain lock I use for bikes in the garage. Only a few months old and only used in the garage but the key just Would. Not. Go. In. I was panicking that I'd have to buy a grinder. I added some oil to no avail. Then I tried again an hour later and after a bit of jiggling the key went in and touch wood it's been ok since.

Perhaps the screwdrivers weren't quite thin enough to get to the end discs, worth trying something thinner, maybe even a straightened paperclip.

Finally perhaps one of the lockpicking tools like LockPickingLawyer uses might be cheaper and certainly less destructive than a grinder. I know very little about lockpicking but watched a few videos. You wouldn't have to do the full picking of course, just align the discs which always seems to be LPL's first step.

I had similar with the mini Fahg that goes with the chain in the Asgard. A bit of wiggling with the key to align the discs after much panic and managed to get the key in (I may have used one of the spare keys too)

Dadam

I had similar with the mini Fahg that goes with the chain in the Asgard. A bit of wiggling with the key to align the discs after much panic and managed to get the key in (I may have used one of the spare keys too)

Might be the exact same lock. Mine is the Evo 4 disc lock supplied as a padlock with the Kryptonite chain. I'm now very careful how I pull the key out (assuming that was how they got misaligned, I don't know)

vickster

Legendary Member
Might be the exact same lock. Mine is the Evo 4 disc lock supplied as a padlock with the Kryptonite chain. I'm now very careful how I pull the key out (assuming that was how they got misaligned, I don't know)

Maybe, but it looks like a baby D lock (not a disc lock)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a Kryptonite lock that if the D shackle part is not pushed right into the lock body, the key will not go all the way in.
Try banging/pushing the shackle further in the body and try again. If you haven't already tried it.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all - boy this thread took off while I wasn't paying attention!

Returning to the car park this morning with my new angle grinder. I'll try lots more lubing and wiggling before I start cutting, but I have a definite feeling the beast will be needed.

Just to get one thing straight, there's no way on earth that frame is staying where it is. It may look scrappy, but that there is an Olmo track bike, which I was told was once the property of the Italian national track racing team. It is not just my bike, it is my mate, and we do not leave our mates on the battlefield do we kids? No we don't.

One thing I really would like to know - which of these disks should I use? The grinder I bought came without any instructions/user guide, and never having had one before, I'm not at all sure what these disks are for. Any thoughts appreciated.

1699874604019.png

Top Bottom