Can you cut a U-bolt with a forty quid cordless angle grinder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Had a play with the lock I have which looks identical. Comparing to mine, it looks from your photo as if the key is "almost" in. There's about 2-3mm difference. Try again with the WD40, really hosing it in. Also you could try gently tapping the body of the lock (NOT the key) with a hammer to move the disc(s) while wiggling the key.

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks all - boy this thread took off while I wasn't paying attention!

Returning to the car park this morning with my new angle grinder. I'll try lots more lubing and wiggling before I start cutting, but I have a definite feeling the beast will be needed.

Just to get one thing straight, there's no way on earth that frame is staying where it is. It may look scrappy, but that there is an Olmo track bike, which I was told was once the property of the Italian national track racing team. It is not just my bike, it is my mate, and we do not leave our mates on the battlefield do we kids? No we don't.

One thing I really would like to know - which of these disks should I use? The grinder I bought came without any instructions/user guide, and never having had one before, I'm not at all sure what these disks are for. Any thoughts appreciated.

View attachment 713347

One of the top two in the photo. The third one is a masonry disc, and the bottom two are for sanding.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Had a play with the lock I have which looks identical. Comparing to mine, it looks from your photo as if the key is "almost" in. There's about 2-3mm difference. Try again with the WD40, really hosing it in. Also you could try gently tapping the body of the lock (NOT the key) with a hammer to move the disc(s) while wiggling the key.

I shall try that again before going in with the monster tool

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No, they are the bottom ones in the photo. They are for sanding, not for cutting.

Ah - these fellers then...

1699875060945.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Whilst you are at it, there is some muck growing on that keyboard ! I'd angle grind that.

Tom B

Guru

That would be my approach too..

Start with gentle taps from differing angles, top, bottom, sides, diagonals, a few of each to a taptaptaptaptaptaptap while wiggling the key, you might need an assistant.
End with full on belts from a lump hammer, I might even be tempted to try a bit of heat from a blow lamp - I once had a roller shutter door that got glued, the locksmith heated the key up red hot and used that to open the lock with lots of wiggling and WD. If it ever misbehaved again i used to heat the key in pilers.

If all else fails i'd be tempted to give the key a gentle tap in to.

Are there any amateur locksmiths nearby who might relish a challenge? There is a guy near us on facebook that occasionally asks for old locks to practice on. Apparently its quite a "thing".

Top Bottom