Can you cut a U-bolt with a forty quid cordless angle grinder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
Hmmm...I think Sainsbury's might get a bit humpy :angry: ^_^

Bit of black tape and you’re good to go after straightening it a bit.

alicat

Legendary Member
Weird, I got a notification that you quoted me…I’ve not posted on this thread at all :wacko:
So did I and also not posted anything

I think I know what happened. I saved some quotes from various threads and they were all inserted when I only intended to insert the one relating to this thread. I edited the erroneous ones out but I imagine you got a notification anyway. Sorry if that caused any concern.

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Go on Facebook for your area and ask if someone will help you cut it off and you will pay them. Someone will help you I know they will.

johnnyb47

Guru
I would consider letting the police know what your doing before setting your bike free ,just in case they get the wrong end of the stick if they see you

tyred

Legendary Member
I would consider letting the police know what your doing before setting your bike free ,just in case they get the wrong end of the stick if they see you

I broke into my own MKI Golf once, in a busy town centre car park in broad daylight. Absolutely nobody asked me what I was doing.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I broke into my own MKI Golf once, in a busy town centre car park in broad daylight. Absolutely nobody asked me what I was doing.

People totally avoid anything that looks dodgy as they are now scared of a confrontation and the possibility of getting stabbed etc.

I think its the Neistat Brothers in Times Square in NY who made one of social experiment videos of nicking their own bike. They repeated the stunt several times, each time using larger and noisier tools to cut the lock. No one said a word until their last stunt with the biggest and noisiest tool. Someone came up to them and said, "you're doing it wrong and this is how you should do it.

Edit, it looks like the original was removed, this is the remake:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGttmR2DTY8

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Oh, it's an Abus lock, so not a lump of shoddy, but entry level rather than premium. It was a temporary fix after Italian Airport Security seized my old lock. Bad move.

Probably won't work on that lock, but the one time I managed to lose the key to my D lock (about 30 years ago), I used a car jack to force it open. I don't think my lock was a similar quality to yours though.

Gwylan

Veteran
Probably won't work on that lock, but the one time I managed to lose the key to my D lock (about 30 years ago), I used a car jack to force it open. I don't think my lock was a similar quality to yours though.

Car jack is your friend! Video it so we can see if it does work

Top Bottom