Can you cut a U-bolt with a forty quid cordless angle grinder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Rust how very dare you. That is patina mate, patina. You can't buy that innit.

Anyway, sorry to bring a thread to a juddering halt, but it's all over folks and the answer to the OP would appear to be a pretty resounding 'yes':

1699886107000.png

Very relieved, me. Didn't like leaving my beloved in a Sainsbury's car park for two nights.

So that's that. Thanks again for all responses.

AndyRM

XOXO
Rust how very dare you. That is patina mate, patina. You can't buy that innit.

Anyway, sorry to bring a thread to a juddering halt, but it's all over folks and the answer to the OP would appear to be a pretty resounding 'yes':

View attachment 713370

Very relieved, me. Didn't like leaving my beloved in a Sainsbury's car park for two nights.

So that's that. Thanks again for all responses.

Glad to hear you got sorted. May invest in a similar bit of kit.

AndyRM

XOXO
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Was it this one - with a security level of 8 (Sold Secure Silver)? Do I need to upgrade if a £40 grinder can take it off.

https://mobil.abus.com/uk/Consumer/Bicycle-locks/U-Shackle-Locks-Bike/Ultra-410

It was. And as AndyRM says, I fear an upgrade would make naff all difference. This is the second 'name' u-bolt I've cut with an angle grinder, and neither took me a minute. I'm pretty sure that if I knew what I was doing, I could get it down to 20 seconds, tops. I'm guessing the costlier ones would maybe resist a bit more, but I don't think the £40 beast would be thwarted.

Alex321

Veteran
It was. And as AndyRM says, I fear an upgrade would make naff all difference. This is the second 'name' u-bolt I've cut with an angle grinder, and neither took me a minute. I'm pretty sure that if I knew what I was doing, I could get it down to 20 seconds, tops. I'm guessing the costlier ones would maybe resist a bit more, but I don't think the £40 beast would be thwarted.

There are now a few locks out there which are supposed to be anti-angle grinder.

vickster

Legendary Member
I seem to recall that big tough chains like used for motorbikes are tougher to cut with an angle grinder (although not ideal to lug around when going shopping or whatever).
I've been quite happy with my Abus Granit X, I've used for reasonably nice bikes in Central London (with a cable or a smaller D lock for front wheel), but those are probably north of £100 now?

Dadam

Nice. But £250 for the X3?! And a three month waiting time? I don't see how that's a sustainable model for the company making them.

The X1 is the one aimed more at bicycles, and it's £149 and a 7 day lead time. As the guideline says spend at least 10% of the bike cost on the lock, it's not a bad investment if you have a decent bike. Must be sustainable as they keep selling out

Emanresu

I seem to recall that big tough chains like used for motorbikes are tougher to cut with an angle grinder

Err..... No

Lost my first bike outside the local town hall. The bike (a Marin full sus) had an large Oxford chain on it. They ignored the chain and cut where there is a link to the end of the chain. Must be the weak spot. As it was outside the Town Hall, must have been quick and professional.

Presume when we chose a securing mechanism, manufacturers will direct us to the positive elements of their products but fail to point out where it might be lacking.

Top Bottom