Core Stength

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxbob

Get a swiss ball some decent weight dumbells and a gym/yoga mat just find a core exercise plan from google

walker

I must add that if you which to strengthen the core you need to work on the lower back as well, other wise with strong abs and weak lower back you will tend to lean forward, make sure you work both equally

trio25

Über Member
longers said:
The plank can be performed in pub car parks. Should you wish.

Shame none of the rest of you had a go!

jimboalee

There should be no need to worry about the lower back, because they are the musclegroup that keeps your torso from flopping forward while you are riding.
Unless you are one of those who puts all their upper body weight on the handlebars, which is not good form.

You should be able to hold the bars lightly with one hand, while grabbing your bidon and drinking with the other.

trio25

Über Member
There is every need to worry about your lower back, if it is strong you can keep going for longer. Actually riding will improve the strenght, but you will find yourself having to go through a pain barrier to get longer distances, a stronger core 9including the back) will mean that these distances are easier.

jimboalee

You'll find that the muscles involved in cycling will develop in complement.

If you are a dead-beginner, your legs won't be up to a 'long' ride, let alone your Erector Spinae.

The abs and obliques aren't important to ride a bicycle, so its only posture.

The muscles that is often forgotten are the Hip flexors. These are the muscles that lift the knee up to the abdomen.
These muscles pull the pedals up and round the back on the upstroke.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Trio, longers, colly and Calum spent lengthy periods of time waiting for me on Saturday as I struggled up every significant hill we came to. The reason that trio was demonstrating the Plank to us was because she and the others had just had to wait for me in said pub car park while I grovelled my way up what was actually a fairly modest hill. My legs were fine, and I wasn't out of breath - I just couldn't put any effort in because my lower back was killing me. It doesn't seem to matter how much cycling I do, it doesn't get any better. I'm very used to hills - we have hundreds of the things round here. It seems to me that unless I start doing stretching and strengthening exercises for my back, the problem isn't going to go away. It's Monday afternoon and my back muscles are still aching from a ride on Saturday - that can't be right!

Okay, part of the problem is being about 40 pounds overweight so I'm having to make a bigger effort on the hills than I would if I was slim, but I compensate for that by using a very low gear (30/28).

PS I just tried The Plank - it's much harder than it looks! :biggrin:

jimboalee

ColinJ.

Go and see your Doctor.

There are a number of causes for lower back pain, from a prolapsed disc, small kidney stones dislodged by the rigours of cycling, to simply 'dying for the loo'.

Your condition doesn't sound usual.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
jimboalee said:
ColinJ.

Go and see your Doctor.
"Dear doctor - I'm 40 pounds overweight and every time I ride my bike 104 miles over 6,500 feet of Yorkshire and Lancashire hills, I get backache."

"Well, stop doing it then! Next!" :angry:

I believe that doctors should be for serious conditions. If I break a leg, I'll see a doctor. If I catch a serious disease, I'll see a doctor. I wouldn't dream of going to the doctor with the kind of complaints that most people go with.

I've only seen a doctor 3 or 4 times in 40 years. One of those times was for an eye injury, once was for sunburn, once was to get my hearing checked (I'm officially slightly hard of hearing :sad:) and once was for a nasty throat infection.

Most of the time the body will heal itself quite nicely if one is in general good health. I think more people get ill sitting around in doctors' waiting rooms breathing in other peoples' germs, than actually get cured.

I don't think that doctors are much good for backache. A good physiotherapist would be a different matter, but (s)he would probably only recommend the stretching and core exercises anyway.

jimboalee said:
There are a number of causes for lower back pain, from a prolapsed disc, small kidney stones dislodged by the rigours of cycling, to simply 'dying for the loo'.
I'm sure you're right about that and I'm equally sure that I'm not suffering from any of those problems! I should clarify - I'm perfectly okay riding for a certain distance and a certain amount of climbing but eventually, as I tire, my back muscles start to go into spasm. It's a tight, burning feeling in the muscles in the lumbar region rather than actual pain, but it has the same effect. It makes my back go stiff and sore.

Top Bottom