Core Stength

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enso108

Formerly OselLing

trio25

Über Member
ColinJ said:
PS I just tried The Plank - it's much harder than it looks! :biggrin:

Yes it is I was hoping one of you would try it. You build up to being able to do 40seconds. It works all the core muscles which is why it is so good!

I agree ColinJ I think a Dr would look at you as if you were odd! A good Physio would sort you back out for a while and give you some exercises for you core. But if it causes problems at other times the Dr is the place to go. At the moment you can see the cause!

Remember to stretch as well!!!! Oh and sit on your fitball while watching tv!

colly

Re member eR
trio25 said:
Oh and sit on your fitball while watching tv!

I tried this tonight but she just told me to bugger off.

Am I doing something wrong?

I gave 'the plank' a go too :biggrin:

jimboalee

The 'Plank' is a halfway-house to a Hyperextension bench.
It can be done with no apparatus and doesn't involve the torso being a free cantilever, so get someone to stand on your butt.;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
jimboalee said:
The 'Plank' is a halfway-house to a Hyperextension bench.
It can be done with no apparatus and doesn't involve the torso being a free cantilever, so get someone to stand on your butt.:smile:
Unfortunately, I already have the equivalent of a small person standing on my butt (and elsewhere)... ;)

montage

God Almighty
The Plank is one of my favourites and I often employ it as a disciplinary measure at my local cadet unit (corporal punishment is still legal right?)

longest I have seen it held for is 10minutes, longest I have held for is 6minutes 20 something seconds - these times were for a selection for a tall ships race, the plank being a good indicator of mental strength.

On my own, in my room, I am struggling to get past 1.20 so do 4 1 minute intervals with 10-15 mins rest in between. I am still unsure if this is as benefitial as dorsal raises + situps, but the plank certainly does make you think of the phrase "no pain no gain".

I think the most effective core body work outs are situps, dorsal raises (where you lie on your front, hands on head and raise your back off the floor - apologies if dorsal raises is the incorrect name). Another one is to hold a weight (between 2-10kg) with both arms bent about stomach height and twist 90 degrees to the left, then a full 180 degrees so you are facing the right. Repeat as many times as you can within the minute.

aqaleigh

follow a 15 minute pilates / core d.v.d.

about £5 fast - not boring & work fantastic and yes the plank is in most of them

jimboalee

I prefer to get a sleeping bag (in its carry-bag), hook my ankles under the bedframe and lie over the sleeping bag pack (with it at my hips) with my hands behind my head and my chest off the floor.

You get the picture?

Now the tricky part comes when my partner slides a pair of lit tealights under my pecs :biggrin:
They are hot at first, but I manage to snuff them with a quick lowering of the torso.
"Just ignore the pain" she shouts.

smooth

montage said:
The Plank is one of my favourites and I often employ it as a disciplinary measure at my local cadet unit (corporal punishment is still legal right?)

longest I have seen it held for is 10minutes, longest I have held for is 6minutes 20 something seconds - these times were for a selection for a tall ships race, the plank being a good indicator of mental strength.

On my own, in my room, I am struggling to get past 1.20 so do 4 1 minute intervals with 10-15 mins rest in between. I am still unsure if this is as benefitial as dorsal raises + situps, but the plank certainly does make you think of the phrase "no pain no gain".

I think the most effective core body work outs are situps, dorsal raises (where you lie on your front, hands on head and raise your back off the floor - apologies if dorsal raises is the incorrect name). Another one is to hold a weight (between 2-10kg) with both arms bent about stomach height and twist 90 degrees to the left, then a full 180 degrees so you are facing the right. Repeat as many times as you can within the minute.

You've got to continue to improve by changing elements slightly.

I've seen guys doing hundreds of sit-ups day yet not be able to hold plank for 1 minute.

You should try doing the plank on an unstable surface i.e. elbows on a swiss ball

from there you can increase to doing it with your feet on the ball to finally moving to both elbows on one ball and feet on another. Looks very impressive when you can do it but very embarrassing when you crumble to a heap!

The back raises/sit ups can also be improved by doing them on a ball

jimboalee

Yes, the execise needs to be dynamic.

While riding your bike, try holding the handlebars with the fingertips on the underside of the drops.
Only hold lightly. Your torso and lower back in particular will start to feel after a couple of minutes.

montage

God Almighty
cheers jimboalee - I now have a nasty graze(well...nasty may be an exaggeration..) up my left arm.....tried the fingertip technique and didn't see a tiny pothole

Top Bottom