Corner cutting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I noticed this on the Cyclic website:

https://upride.cc/incident/run-over-by-a-volkswagen-t5/

I have noticed this a lot in my area where people cut corners like this, one woman even stopped alongside me and berated me, when she was clearly in the wrong.

I’m reluctant to change how I position to use junctions as that sends out confusing signals.

In the car and bike I have seen people cutting fast corners on roads, I broke some suspension parts on the family S-Max getting onto a verge to avoid a head on, the guy didn’t stop of course and I was to pre-occupied with avoiding him and not turning my kids into a statistic.

Do others see this a lot?

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep. For car drivers it's all you mainly ever see.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
A great deal. I just ignore them.

Oh the woman having a go at me I ignored, she probably cuts that junction like this guy in the video every day and was just salty she had to turn auto pilot off.

I was just wondering how prolific it is, and if others change how they approach junctions etc,

If I'm in my old Fiesta and someone was to cut a corner and trash the front they would be doing me a favour! but on a bike sheesh the guy is lucky he scrambled out the way.

It's kind of reinforcing getting a dash and cycle cam, even if I come to a sticky end there could be evidence to get a potentially dangerous person off the road.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I appreciate I come across as naive or stupid possibly, but I just point blank refuse to let car drivers have their way and intimidate me. I follow the road rules and expect them to. I am not so stupid that I can get out the way if they are plain dangerous however.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you think it’s bad in the U.K. you should see drivers down here. There are usually no white lines at junctions so they take it as Cart Blanche for just taking the shortest route. You get funny looks just for standing near the centre but on correct side, it’s just sheer laziness.

C R

Guru
I noticed this on the Cyclic website:

https://upride.cc/incident/run-over-by-a-volkswagen-t5/

I have noticed this a lot in my area where people cut corners like this, one woman even stopped alongside me and berated me, when she was clearly in the wrong.

I’m reluctant to change how I position to use junctions as that sends out confusing signals.

In the car and bike I have seen people cutting fast corners on roads, I broke some suspension parts on the family S-Max getting onto a verge to avoid a head on, the guy didn’t stop of course and I was to pre-occupied with avoiding him and not turning my kids into a statistic.

Do others see this a lot?
Unfortunately yes.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I had a t*at yesterday actually cross to the on coming lane to overtake me as he was too much of a wan*erm to slow down a bit as I approached a road island.

I appreciate I come across as naive or stupid possibly, but I just point blank refuse to let car drivers have their way and intimidate me. I follow the road rules and expect them to. I am not so stupid that I can get out the way if they are plain dangerous however.
Legalistic riding makes you feel righteous but I practice defensive cycling. If sticking to the law is safest that is what I do. If the law and safety diverge, I opt for safety.
On T junctions to main roads I always hold back from the centreline because of the danger from corner cutters. I position in the centre of the lane not the right hand side.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am always defensive, motorcycle and cycle rider for many years taught me that. I just find ignorance rude, and will not be intimidated.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Apart from corners, an increasing number of drivers seem incapable of simply taking a right-hand bend (in the UK) without drifting over the white line in the middle of the road.

Anyone doing that while I'm driving in the opposite direction gets a warning blast on the horn on the grounds that I have no way of knowing how much farther they plan to move across into my path.

winjim

Smash the cistern
All junctions beyond the smallest should have a wee traffic island to prevent this insane behaviour.
Plant more trees.

screenshots_2015-12-03-09-00-25-png.png

Have any of the 'stand your ground and don't be intimidated' contributors to the thread actually watched the video in the op?

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not a fan of motorcyclists (and scooterists/mopedists) filtering at speed on the opposite side of the road when I'm driving in the opposite direction. Do they not realise they're putting themselves at risk when there's oncoming traffic? :wacko:

Top Bottom