Cornwall & Devon Family Cycle trails and routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
We find ourselves, (that is myself Mrs TomB and Toddler TomB) in Cornwall for a couple of weeks.

We have our bikes and child seat.

We have done the Camel Trail a few times now.

Can anyone recommend and similar, ideally off road routes to adventure. We're comfortable with up to 50miles round trip. Ideally with a cafe/eaterie somewhere.

The Mrs isn't into MTB stuff and is still recovering from an off. We're on 28/32 tyres and of course with a child in a bike seat so nothing to rough.

I've had a look at online sources but you can't be too sure, I've had a few magical mystery tours on online recommendations

Last edited:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
The two which spring to mind are either The Great Flat Lode (it's not a flat route, it's the Lode that's comparatively flat when compared to other mineral Lodes) but you'll need to be reasonable at following a map for that one, I'd also recommend the coast to coast trail of Bissoe Trail, cafés at both ends and half way.

Neither of these are 50 miles but offer some lovely off road/quiet road routes which I'm sure you can tack onto something.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
The two which spring to mind are either The Great Flat Lode (it's not a flat route, it's the Lode that's comparatively flat when compared to other mineral Lodes) but you'll need to be reasonable at following a map for that one, I'd also recommend the coast to coast trail of Bissoe Trail, cafés at both ends and half way.

Neither of these are 50 miles but offer some lovely off road/quiet road routes which I'm sure you can tack onto something.

Cheers we managed to do the Coast to Coast via the Fox and Hounds and a cheeky pint. Now busy gloating to the MIL that we've done the Coast to Coast before she has. She's not figured out we mean the 11 mile Cornish version.

We did it from Portreath and found it a bit tricky find the start on. Even the hire bike bike collecting bikes didn't know, which was a bit of a worry. As ever we asked some oldies who pointed it out. Cake was tested at the old petrol station end of the route too.

Ended up getting a gpx file that opened with komoot which I've never used, turned out it was giving directions for the opposite direction so I turned the damn thing off and went back to open cycle maps which handily had the route.

straas

Matt
I've cycled the B roads from Gwithian to St Agnes, they seemed very quiet, but I think it was a bit out of season when I was using them. The SW coast path is good, until you get to any of the inlets where it's really steep.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Okehampton to Lydford Granite Way... Can anyone give an idea of surface conditions?
First class. Tarmac nearly the whole way. Observations:
A few gates. Care negotiating chicanes for crossing farm roads. Otherwise good sight lines. Short (500m) stretch of permissive route (
Lat,Long 50.666278,-4.090840 )
a bit bumpy/unpaved/a few wiggles and narrow - so just normal politeness to those coming the other way - but entirely negotiable on a road bike (and I've ridden the Granite Way at night a few times).
Bike Centre and cafe just near Sourton Down junction may be open.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
The thread title excluded suggesting the Tarka Trail from Barnstaple to Meeth (N of Hatherleigh/Okehampton) but I would say that's an excellent choice. Some of it is similar surface to the Camel Trail NE of Bodmin; some is better. And also in W Devon (so maybe within range) the Drake's Trail from Tavistock south: includes an amazing viaduct hundreds of feet above the Walkham river and a drippy (but short enough not to need lights) tunnel at Grenofen. Good surface Tavvy-Yelverton. More variable south of there till you get onto the old Plym Valley railway track - all the way to Plymouth (cycle/ped bridge under A38 overpass and down the Plym estuary to finish). Devon C2C.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No. Absolutely everyone in both tunnels (Grenofen and Shaugh) should carry lights. You might be lucky to see a silhouette of someone unlit in Grenofen, no chance whatsoever in the curved Shaugh tunnel. Lights, always, in tunnels.

Yes last time I was there, it was a sunny day, and I was going quite a pace on entering, I didn't really have a chance to slow safely and deploy a light as I had a friend on my tail, I just tried to stay what I 'felt' was central, and hoped no equally unlit idiot was doing the same coming the other way.

Thankfully they weren't, but it was a bit 'flying blind' for a while there :blush:

Top Bottom