Cornwall Holiday..........any location suggestions welcome.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
St Ives is fab, with a great art gallery etc.
Falmouth area is also lovely with the castles at Pendennis etc.

But my favourite part of Cornwall is Harlyn bay and the Trevose head area. Far away enough from Padstow (but still accessible), but great beaches at Mother Ivys, Harlyn, Constantine and Boobys. Great walking. The coast road from there to Newquay is a joy by bike and car.

solitaire

Über Member
Blackpool on a Saturday night makes Newquay look like a bhuddist's convention.

Not for the faint hearted. :biggrin:
Exactly, Newquay is judged on reputation and hearsay, I work on a holiday park 3 mikes from Newquay. We don't take stag do's etc and we had our best year last year and had hit all our targets by mid September, so Newquay really isn't as black as it's painted.

13 rider

Guru
Bikes trails at llanhydroch house Bodmin are worth a go bike hire on site .camel trail padstow to bodmin nice and easy .coast to coast trail deveron to portreath bit harder both these trails have bike hire at each end. Beach godrivy point opposite St Ives is beautiful and you my spot wild seals just only the cliff. Cornwall is lovely but the popular spots St Ives get very busy at peak time

PK99

Legendary Member
Just to defend Newquay a little. Over the last couple of years it has done it's best to drag it's reputation out of the gutter and it has improved.
The police are a lot more high profile on the streets, especially at weekends and have done an impressive job along with the pubs and clubs to clamp right down on youngsters getting blind drunk and causing grief. Their zero tolerance approach seems to be working.
Obviously you are still going to get incidents like the ones several of you have mentioned but you'll get that in many holiday towns, Blackpool springs to mind.
So overall if your looking for a quiet holiday I wouldn't recommend Newquay. Unless you come in the winter, when it's a completely different place and really quite pleasant.
Unfortunately a lot of the shops etc close so you get the good with the bad really.
As a final note, I would just like to point out that Newquay gets slated in the media which always astounds me because it isn't Newquay that's the problem, it's the people who come here,

I do sympathise with you as a local, but as a visitor, even with the improvements, there are much nicer places to be in the summer around the same area. Over the years we have been going to cornwall (20?) we have taken to using fistral beach but not venturing into town at all.

I did think of drawing the comparison the blackpool - ie the same but with surf and more sun!

solitaire

Über Member
I do sympathise with you as a local, but as a visitor, even with the improvements, there are much nicer places to be in the summer around the same area. Over the years we have been going to cornwall (20?) we have taken to using fistral beach but not venturing into town at all.

I did think of drawing the comparison the blackpool - ie the same but with surf and more sun!
I agree, there are loads of nicer places for a holiday than Newquay, depending on what your looking for.
My main gripe was the slaughtering of somewhere that for 10 months of the year is a thoroughly nice place.
We try not to go into Newquay in the summer because we don't want to sit in the 3 mile traffic jam with everyone else trying to go there. so they must be doing something right.

13 rider

Guru
I would always recommend Crantock as a place to stay near Newquay, it's only a stones throw away but it's like a different world, quiet, beautiful, nice beach with sand dunes and the common. You can follow the coastal path for as far as you wish, it's absolutely stunning. :thumbsup: Village pub, nice restaurant on top of the hill with outside seating and incredible views. Little local store, regular bus service, everything you could want from a lovely Cornish village.
Perranporth, St Ives and Port Isaac are also lovely places to take a look at.
Solitaire is the pub the bowgie at west pentire had many a meal there I normally stay at holy well bay

solitaire

Über Member
Solitaire is the pub the bowgie at west pentire had many a meal there I normally stay at holy well bay
Yeah the bowgie is a nice pub, it's officially in west pentire but everyone here would say it was in Crantock.
Holy well's nice, the company I work for has sites in both Crantock & Holy well.

But my favourite part of Cornwall is Harlyn bay and the Trevose head area. Far away enough from Padstow (but still accessible), but great beaches at Mother Ivys, Harlyn, Constantine and Boobys. Great walking. The coast road from there to Newquay is a joy by bike and car.
Went to that area about 5 years ago. Kids were calling it 'Padstein' after a visit via the Camel trail there. (As in Rick Stein and his food outlets on every corner)

Though we enjoyed it, probably not somewhere we'd go back to as everywhere was heaving and it's a long drive for us. Haryln is a nice beach but was packed and surfers everywhere. We've been to Centre Parcs resorts that felt less crowded.

PK99

Legendary Member
I agree, there are loads of nicer places for a holiday than Newquay, depending on what your looking for.
My main gripe was the slaughtering of somewhere that for 10 months of the year is a thoroughly nice place.
We try not to go into Newquay in the summer because we don't want to sit in the 3 mile traffic jam with everyone else trying to go there. so they must be doing something right.

for the teens its a rite of passage....

solitaire

Über Member
Went to that area about 5 years ago. Kids were calling it 'Padstein' after a visit via the Camel trail there. (As in Rick Stein and his food outlets on every corner)

Though we enjoyed it, probably not somewhere we'd go back to as everywhere was heaving and it's a long drive for us. Haryln is a nice beach but was packed and surfers everywhere. We've been to Centre Parcs resorts that felt less crowded.
That's the problem, we go from a normal quietish place to an extra 100,000 + in the summer so it gets so crowded everywhere.

PK99

Legendary Member

Harlyn has the great advantage of being protected from the North West by the headland, it it often open when other more open bays a closed because of heavy swells/wind

Top Bottom