Cornwall Holiday..........any location suggestions welcome.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You could go to the less obvious parts of the coast- anywhere between Cawsand and Polruan (if you leave out Looe and Polperro) it's fairly quiet and untouristy.
There are plenty of secluded wooded valleys to explore in this neck of the...... Woods!

Tommy2

Über Member
Usually camp at crantock but hired a place at holy well bay last year, better beach at crantock.
not had the pleasure of cycling there yet.
bowgie inn at west pentire does some nice food, and I think live bands and you can walk along the top of the cliffs back to crantock.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Went to that area about 5 years ago. Kids were calling it 'Padstein' after a visit via the Camel trail there. (As in Rick Stein and his food outlets on every corner)

Though we enjoyed it, probably not somewhere we'd go back to as everywhere was heaving and it's a long drive for us. Haryln is a nice beach but was packed and surfers everywhere. We've been to Centre Parcs resorts that felt less crowded.

Clearly it's changed a bit (sadly). Padstow was always heaving long before Rick Stein though.

subaqua

What’s the point
Exactly, Newquay is judged on reputation and hearsay, I work on a holiday park 3 mikes from Newquay. We don't take stag do's etc and we had our best year last year and had hit all our targets by mid September, so Newquay really isn't as black as it's painted.
Hendra ?

in reply to the OP Pentewan sands near mevagissey . heligan in walking distance the roseland peninsula also close. we love it.

subaqua

What’s the point
Stayed there once at Easter in the mid 80s. We were quite a large surf group and other than us there was a load of Hells Angels ... interesting nights in the bar though ....
can't quite imagine you as a surfer , but we were all young once.

we did multiple parks trying to find a nice park and finally did with pentewan. Hendra a close second, John Fowler at perranporth ( well ish its up on the top) 3rd. we wouldn't recommend any of the Haven parks unless you like chavs with no manners at all

subaqua

What’s the point
Charlestown harbour, near St Austell, is an authentic late-eighteenth-century harbour that is home to at least one square-rigged sailing ship and has been used as a location for many films and TV dramas. If you get to see the ship being brought into harbour it's quite an experience I'm told, and they used to do day sails. There's a good maritime museum there too.

museum is for sale . bet it ends up knocked down and turned into luxury waterside apartments. Hopefully the owner will stick a covenant in the sale preventing that

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
can't quite imagine you as a surfer , but we were all young once.

Once again, with the prototype Mrs FF taken when .... when W reg vans were new ..... Higher Harlyn Camp site. Happy daze ....

IMG_1560.JPG

a_nic_an

the lizard is great, many beautiful coves and villages and close to Falmouth which is a great town, the most diverse in Cornwall which makes it interesting and lively.
I live in Fowey which is beautiful and there are many great walks around us.
On the north I would second the suggestion of Crantock, equally St Agnes or a village called Rose outside Perranporth as it is very easy to access the wonderful beach Holywell from there.
Regards;

Top Bottom