Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
But why are you blaming goverment? Surely that's down to the owners of the nursing home.

I'll leave that question for someone with less skin in the game to answer right now.

But why are you blaming goverment? Surely that's down to the owners of the nursing home.
I'm no expert at this but I would have thought it is much more difficult for private care homes to get hold of reasonably priced PPE that meets approved standards, without being ripped off by sharks, than it is for state/local authority run homes. That is not the fault of individual care home owners, nor is it their fault that the NHS has been dumping Covid infected people back into the care homes, in many cases without warning the homes of the infection.
The whole issue of care home Covid related deaths is a stain on our so-called caring government.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I'm no expert at this but I would have thought it is much more difficult for private care homes to get hold of reasonably priced PPE that meets approved standards, without being ripped off by sharks, than it is for state/local authority run homes. That is not the fault of individual care home owners, nor is it their fault that the NHS has been dumping Covid infected people back into the care homes, in many cases without warning the homes of the infection.
The whole issue of care home Covid related deaths is a stain on our so-called caring government.
But surely the private homes, should have this stuff in stock, or don't they worry about the health of the people they are caring for,

But surely the private homes, should have this stuff in stock, or don't they worry about the health of the people they are caring for,

As a commercial venture how much stock should they, or can they afford to, keep?

Do state run care homes keep massive stock levels?

Stock costs money and your expert opinion on suitable stock levels in the care industry in case of a pandemic would be useful.

But he wouldn't give the go ahead for pubs to open next week. I was thinking more like 6,7 maybe 8 weeks away in mid July. Read this,it says half our pubs could be lost if they don't open up this summer. https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....d-help-great-british-insitution-lost-forever/
so lets see,if that happens we'll have stay at home society that orders take-aways online,pays for them by card as cash is now deemed unhygienic and then sits on it's fat arse to watch 'Netflix' and such crap! How many people lately have asked 'don't you have Netflix'? and when i say no,i don't watch tv apart from for the odd thing,they look at me like i'm disadvantaged or summat.:rolleyes: Talking to a bloke i know yesterday,i said to him that Wetherspoons are going to ignore any 'keep pubs shut' orders that extend beyond July. He had a rant saying all pubs should be closed forever as far as he's concerned! He used to go out nearly every night,but gave it up years ago. He's now a tv/take-away zombie who prefers to save his money spent in pubs on about 4 holidays a year to the Algarve,which is fair enough. I Ieft him with a parting shot. 'I hope many airlines go under and 'foreign holidays' become so expensive and involve so much hassle getting there and back that they die out, like you want to see happen to pubs'! I don't really think like that,but he had this 'I don't use something now so i don't give a toss if it disappears'attitude. I don't use libraries,restaurants,take-aways,slot machine arcades etc etc,but i wouldn't like to see them go under just because i don't use them. His parting shot at me was 'Ah well whatever'. I'm going home now to order some food online then settle down to a night of telly'!!:rolleyes:
That is quite an interesting post. Not sure I agree with it all, but it is food for thought.

derrick

Many care homes have no deaths at all, which suggests that those who do are doing something wrong as regards distancing and hygiene.
Yes i am a bit unclear about all this.

derrick

As a commercial venture how much stock should they, or can they afford to, keep?

Do state run care homes keep massive stock levels?

Stock costs money and your expert opinion on suitable stock levels in the care industry in case of a pandemic would be useful.
I would have thought basic mask and goggles would be in stock.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I’m not an expert but common sense tells me three things reduce the numbers of infections in care homes. First, the availability of PPE. This is something that needs to be readily available and regularly supplied. Second, there needs to be robust testing and isolating of staff and residents to determine who is infectious and who isn’t. Third, there needed to be a timely lockdown process to prevent visitors from introducing Covid to care homes.

The government’s poor decision making and operationalising of all three means it’s complicit in the spread of Covid amongst many homes. The care home sector was already under the cosh because of local authority cuts (due to central government funding squeezes). Many homes simply had no spare funds to stock up on PPE, even if it were available. Testing until recently was non existent and even now is patchy. Results are taking 5+ days to come back. Some homes and residents have been lucky, just as some people have avoided the infection, but that isn’t anything to do with the government.

I would have thought basic mask and goggles would be in stock.

How man weeks worth of basic masks and goggles should be in stock? Were basic masks and goggles standard issue in care homes before this pandemic? I've visited loads of relatives in care homes and did some work in about ten in the 90s and cannot recall staff wearing such stuff under normal conditions. What is the average stockholding of such stuff in private and state care homes, or hospitals?

Nobody got this right, not even the NHS with their highly paid and trained supplies experts, except those who knew it all along in hindsight.

derrick

How man weeks worth of basic masks and goggles should be in stock? Were basic masks and goggles standard issue in care homes before this pandemic? I've visited loads of relatives in care homes and did some work in about ten in the 90s and cannot recall staff wearing such stuff under normal conditions. What is the average stockholding of such stuff in private and state care homes, or hospitals?

Nobody got this right, not even the NHS with their highly paid and trained supplies experts, except those who knew it all along in hindsight.
So its not anyones fault then?

Top Bottom