Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many care homes have no deaths at all, which suggests that those who do are doing something wrong as regards distancing and hygiene.

Or have just been more unlucky, or are in a less affected area.

Care homes vary enormously in their size, facilities and quality. In some, usually the cheaper ones, the rooms are small, often with shared bathrooms, and crowded common areas, while others, which are either local authority run or expensive private ones, have large en-suite rooms and several large common areas. In the former it is almost impossible to keep to social-distancing rules without imprisoning the inmates residents in their rooms 24/7, while the latter have less problems with social-distancing.

There will also be difference between basic care homes and those that provide nursing facilities.

So its not anyones fault then?

Yes, that man over there.

Do things always have to be any one's fault.

There will be different contributions to fault from the government, to owners, to local authorities, the CQC. My own feeling is that we and the government are mainly at fault for being more concerned at running these places at minimal cost rather than funding them properly. For too many people it is a case of out of sight, out of mind for the sick and the elderly, but then get outraged when things go wrong.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Many care homes have no deaths at all, which suggests that those who do are doing something wrong as regards distancing and hygiene.
Far more luck than judgement.
The NHS has emptied itself into the community and continues to do so. Care homes are under pressure to take people in if they have beds available, they are not meant to refuse. The home my wife works in had to take someone in direct from hospital that had been tested but was waiting for a result, they were told to isolate her. It is a dementia care home and, obviously, they are not allowed to barricade people in their rooms, they tried to stop her by using a child gate, the 80+ year old woman climbed over it and proceeded to wander around the entire home. Fotunately her test came back negative.
The information I have been hearing is that most homes in Pembs have cases of Corona.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
How man weeks worth of basic masks and goggles should be in stock? Were basic masks and goggles standard issue in care homes before this pandemic? I've visited loads of relatives in care homes and did some work in about ten in the 90s and cannot recall staff wearing such stuff under normal conditions. What is the average stockholding of such stuff in private and state care homes, or hospitals?

Nobody got this right, not even the NHS with their highly paid and trained supplies experts, except those who knew it all along in hindsight.
There are only a limited number of hospital beds in this country, and we have enough knowledge of transmissible diseases to be able to estimate worst-case PPE requirements for a pandemic.

And there have been regular pandemic preparedness reports, such as this NHS document from 2017 (admitedly for flu).

Your quip about hindsight is irrelevant. PPE stockpile requirements had been anticipated years in advance, but preparations were insufficient.
You can make disintenguous quips about it, but a more constructive approach is to identify why preparations were insufficient, and address any mistakes ASAP.

PS A couple of Extracts from the report:

[A number of stockpiles exist ] in locations around the country for deployment when needed. These will be avilable to health and social care staff.

[The stockpile] includes surgical facemasks, FFP3 respirators, gloves and aprons, plus hygiene consumables.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Do things always have to be any one's fault.

There will be different contributions to fault from the government, to owners, to local authorities, the CQC. My own feeling is that we and the government are mainly at fault for being more concerned at running these places at minimal cost rather than funding them properly. For too many people it is a case of out of sight, out of mind for the sick and the elderly, but then get outraged when things go wrong.
[/QUOTE]
Getting back to my original question to @alicat , Why is she blaming the government, i ain't putting the blame on anyone.

There are only a limited number of hospital beds in this country, and we have enough knowledge of transmissible diseases to be able to estimate worst-case PPE requirements for a pandemic.

And there have been regular pandemic preparedness reports, such as this NHS document from 2017 (admitedly for flu).

Your quip about hindsight is irrelevant. PPE stockpile requirements had been anticipated years in advance, but preparations were insufficient.
You can make disintenguous quips about it, but a more constructive approach is to identify why preparations were insufficient, and address any mistakes ASAP.

PS A couple of Extracts from the report:

[A number of stockpiles exist ] in locations around the country for deployment when needed. These will be avilable to health and social care staff.

[The stockpile] includes surgical facemasks, FFP3 respirators, gloves and aprons, plus hygiene consumables.
I take the point you make, but was asking specific questions about what stock levels should be kept, in response to someone making a critical point on private care home stock levels.

I stand by my comments on hindsight while accepting your point about needing to understand why there were shortages. I found the point you highlighted about stockpiles around the country interesting but that seems to imply the stocks are held centrally and not held by the individual care homes, and gives no detail as to how it is to be distributed between care homes and NHS.

Of course lessons need to be learned, but based on facts

alicat

Legendary Member
Getting back to my original question to @alicat , Why is she blaming the government, i ain't putting the blame on anyone.

I'll leave that question for someone with less skin in the game to answer right now.

@derrick, I was shocked when I read your question asking why I was blaming government and even more shocked when you asked it again after I pointed out that it was too sensitive a topic. When I posted about the loss of a connection to my childhood and love of cycling, I was looking for support and empathy and understanding not questions as to the reasons for my feelings. I never mentioned blame. There's a subtle difference btween that and anger. I don't have to answer your question especially since you seem to be a dog with a bone at the moment and I have no confidence that you will accept any answer that I give you. @Rusty Nails and @Brompton Bruce were able to guess at my views and I thank them for that.

If you want a conversation adult to adult then pm me and I will give you my phone number. Otherwise, just let it drop.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
@derrick, I was shocked when I read your question asking why I was blaming government and even more shocked when you asked it again after I pointed out that it was too sensitive a topic. When I posted about the loss of a connection to my childhood and love of cycling, I was looking for support and empathy and understanding not questions as to the reasons for my feelings. I never mentioned blame. There's a subtle difference btween that and anger. I don't have to answer your question especially since you seem to be a dog with a bone at the moment and I have no confidence that you will accept any answer that I give you. @Rusty Nails and @Brompton Bruce were able to guess at my views and I thank them for that.

If you want a conversation adult to adult then pm me and I will give you my phone number. Otherwise, just let it drop.
I was going to let it drop, but @Rusty Nails butted in and i answered him,:okay:

Top Bottom