Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
From yesterday's Guardian:
[my bold]

"A new study from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) suggested that one in 400 people had the virus outside hospitals and care homes over the past two weeks, described by Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, the deputy chief medical officer for England, as “very low” circulation in the community."

So if I've understood correctly, that is (roughly) the number who are infectious in the community. So if i snog 400 random people in the street, I have a high chance of receiving a good dose. Just 50 and I will probably be OK :smile:
Even with 50 it might well be a police matter.

lane

Veteran
My back of the envelope calculation makes that a 20% fatality rate from those injected.
Is that credible?
No that is why the rate is probably between 5 and 10% infected. Studies in other countries have shown up to 14% but that was in hot spots and or big questions over methodology.

winjim

Smash the cistern
For what it's worth, I'm thinking of you both.
I am so sorry to hear your sad news @Moon bunny especially because you couldn't see your dad before he died. :hugs:

And another hug for you @winjim and anyone who needs it.
So sorry for both you and winjim.
I really don't know what to say other than to offer my condolences to both of you.
Thanks guys, and thanks to everybody who's expressed sympathy via the emoji interface. As I wrote in the VE day thread, she was 98 years of age and passed peacefully in her sleep. We'd said our goodbyes, albeit via Zoom, and my cousin, a paramedic, was by her side. It was as good a death as any of us could reasonably hope for.

We didn't know or suspect that she had Covid, she had none of the fever or respiratory symptoms. We knew that lockdown had affected her, she was shut in her room all day with no social interaction and seemed basically to just give up. She seemed more confused than usual and it was only later that we learned that often Covid can present in the elderly as acute confusion.

So I'm not sad for her death really. She may under ideal circumstances have had another few years left in her, but she was very old and frail so her time had come. But I'm upset and angry. Really angry. I was angry two months ago and I've expressed that anger before on this forum and been censured for it, but how am I supposed to feel now? At the very time that we found out, from the autopsy, that my grandmother had contracted Covid-19 whilst in her care home and that it was to be recorded as a cause of death, our Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, was standing in the house of commons telling brazen lies about government advice that had been given back in March relating to this exact situation. Brazen lies. How is that supposed to make me feel? And now we've got Matt Hancock telling lies about the protection of care homes. My grandmother, along with tens of thousands of other people, is dead, and the people who are supposed to be responsible for protecting her and them have let them down, and are now just lying and lying and lying about it. They were liars before and they are liars now.

fark this country.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Thank you all for the kind thoughts. I cannot get angry, he had a good life on the whole, but perhaps he could have looked after his health better. Now I am sat on a local hillside with Hover and the twins, having “pop” and crisps in his memory.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
This virus terrifies me. I lost my sister to cancer 6 months ago, both my parents are in their 70s, my father with COPD and my wife has such bad emphysema and respiratory issues that we both know she won’t survive an encounter. My remaining sister is a frontline nursing assistant at Ninewells Hospital (they lost a mother and newborn baby to Covid on Thursday night - it’s shaken her badly).

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This virus terrifies me. I lost my sister to cancer 6 months ago, both my parents are in their 70s, my father with COPD and my wife has such bad emphysema and respiratory issues that we both know she won’t survive an encounter. My remaining sister is a frontline nursing assistant at Ninewells Hospital (they lost a mother and newborn baby to Covid on Thursday night - it’s shaken her badly).

Unbelievably my B-I-L, who has emphysema, and my S-I-L, who has diabetes (both fat/unfit heavy smokers) staged an illegal party at their home with their daughters and attendant grand children a couple of weeks ago. Lovely Wife was aghast that her sister & her husband could be so stupid as they are usually rational thinkers. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Unbelievably my B-I-L, who has emphysema, and my S-I-L, who has diabetes (both fat/unfit heavy smokers) staged an illegal party at their home with their daughters and attendant grand children a couple of weeks ago. Lovely Wife was aghast that her sister & her husband could be so stupid as they are usually rational thinkers. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Staggering isn't it.
Our neighbour had approx 20 in his garden one day last week. Not sitting apart but playing football with the kids.
I don't care if they want to catch the virus but its who else and how many they will pass it to

Top Bottom