Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Self isolation is ok. Yes,we're 'sociable creatures',but I suppose interaction via the internet,text messages etc is a decent substitute for not having human contact.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've just received a text message from a fellow gym/leisure centre member. The sauna and steam rooms were open last night. Are the managers thick,or just putting profit before the health of their members?!
We're lacking clear guidance and leadership, and there's as yet no system of compensation for lost business if they have to close. I mean public health policy appears to be decided by the Premier League at this point.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
there's as yet no system of compensation for lost business if they have to close.
The leisure centre is/was? council run,but it's recently been tendered out to a 'charitable not exactly profit making,but break even financially organisation',so i've been told. Yes,keep the gym and swimming pool open for now,but 15 people at a time discharging body particles in 35C heat and humidity!!!:eek: :ohmy:

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm very conscious my wife is at risk to this. She has emphysema and damaged lungs from previous bouts of pneumonia. I'm cancelling plans to do training sessions in factories next week (in small rooms with up to 100 people :sad: ) . As a travelling sales bod I'm going to have to limit the "travelling" bit.
I’m effectively grounded. None of my customers are allowing visitors unless an emergency/business critical. There’s no official announcement but I reckon HQ in Ireland is a no-go too, so can’t go and play in the lab. Time to sort the home office, catch-up on much needed rest and ride my bike....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I took my temperature like the ridiculous social media fuelled hypochondriac that I am

Seems to me taking your temperature is very wise.

It's all but impossible to distinguish a regular cough/cold/sniffles from the virus, but if that is coupled with a rise in temperature it gives you reasonable cause for concern that you do have the virus.

Percentages are still massively in favour of you and most others who may catch it.

The chances of catching it may be moving to quite or very likely, but of those people only a tiny handful will suffer significant health problems or death.

Even more so if you are not elderly - under 60 for this purpose - and have no underlying serious health problems.

Julia9054

Guru
and have no underlying serious health problems
I have quite severe asthma that is very well controlled by drugs to the extent that it places no restrictions on my life (apart from the side effect of an alarmingly fast resting heart rate!)
Am otherwise fit and healthy. Not sure how much additional risk this puts me at if/when I catch coronavirus.
I had flu once a few years ago (despite my annual jab). That felt like I was dying!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had flu once a few years ago (despite my annual jab). That felt like I was dying!

Another interesting point - real flu is very unpleasant.

I've said a few time over the years 'I have flu', but in reality have probably never had it.

Regrettably, what I do now have is what would be characterised for corona purposes as a 'serious underlying health issue'.

I'm also alarmingly close to the age cut off point for 'elderly'.

Time to make that will I've never got around to.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Seems to me taking your temperature is very wise.

It's all but impossible to distinguish a regular cough/cold/sniffles from the virus, but if that is coupled with a rise in temperature it gives you reasonable cause for concern that you do have the virus.

Potentially very wise. A lot of stuff the last few days coming out that the most infectious period may be the first few days of non-symptoms. Wonder if the temperature goes up a bit a day or two before it becomes a lot more obvious?

Swine flu, which just about everyone under 25 caught in 2009-10 was horrid. The interesting thing about swine flu at the time is they were using tamiflu that they thought worked, but also it later transpired that all the endless flu jabs in the western world may have given substantial protection to those over 60 so what might have been a fairly nasty epidemic like this wasn't anywhere near so bad. Not the case this time.

Top Bottom