Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Just got back from the health centre. I have a temp'of 150F and been sent home to self isolate!!!😥

150°F?
Are you sure the nurse didn't say self-immolate?!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Can I just remind everyone that if you have a fever and / or cough you should not be going to any health centre. The worst scenario is that health centres or hospitals need to shut down due to any outbreak. Hospitals and health centres already have sick people, do not potentially take the virus there. Ring 111 if you deteriorate but otherwise drink plenty, rest, and self isolate.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
150F is normal for Accy, nothing to worry about.

My local health centre will have it's doors locked from Monday, appointments only. Those picking up prescriptions have been asked to nominate a local chemists to get them from instead.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can I just remind everyone that if you have a fever and / or cough you should not be going to any health centre. The worst scenario is that health centres or hospitals need to shut down due to any outbreak. Hospitals and health centres already have sick people, do not potentially take the virus there. Ring 111 if you deteriorate but otherwise drink plenty, rest, and self isolate.
Paracetamol/ibuprofen for fever and aches (assuming able to tolerate obvs)...plus lots of sweets ;)

All the local schools and kindergartens will close from next week until after the end of Easter holidays.

Youngest and Middle son had been sent home anyway because there was a case at their school. We were sent a letter from the school saying that the entire family must go to a test centre for testing: there are two in our county. When we tried to arrange this, we were told we could only go by car, because they take the swabs from outside of the car to limit staff exposure to possibly infected patients.
What they do to limit staff exposure to exhaust gases wasn't made clear.
As we don't have a car we were told to call the Bereitschaftsdienst" which is a 24h emergency doctor service and they'd come to us. Except that although we live in the county of Esslingen are right on the border between Esslingen and Stuttgart, and apparently our village comes under the Stuttgart area for non-emergencies. The Esslingen dispatch team were most apologetic and suggested we call after seven PM when apparently this wouldn't matter.
It took three hours to get this far because we kept getting stuck in an aoutomatic system tha would forward us to Esslingen because we have an essslingen postcode. We also hads interesting discussions with the The Federal Emergency central office, Esslingen health service, Stuttgart health service, Reutlingen dispach centre, Stuttgart dispach centre and Esslingen dispatch centre (3 times in that case) our doctor and the children's doctor. All were as helpful as possible, but unfortunately "as helpful as possible" meant sending us to the test centre or another department.
We called again at five past seven, and were forwarded to the same person in Esslingen. He was still apologetic and said he'd talk to the emergency doctor and ask them to make an exception.
Ten minutes later he called back: the Emergency doctor would fit us in, but that meant he'd have to turn up when he did, which could be any time in the night. We thanked him and went to bed.
The doorbell rang at two minutes past midnight. Doctor came upstairs in disposable overalls and respiration mask, and asked who needed testing. He was rather bemused when we said "everyone". He asked who had symptoms. We replied no-one did, but the school had instructed us that because Youngest Son was sitting next to the person who had tested positive, everyone in the family must self-isolate for two weeks, and we all had to be tested.
"In that case, that school will be getting a stern letter tomorrow" was the doctors response.
He disappeared for five minutes to make a phone call, then reappeared minus mask and a lot more friendly, as he'd realised we weren't playing silly devils or about to fall over.
Apparently we've been getting incorrect information; only the boys need to stay at home, we don't need to isolate, mainly because automaticall isolating entire families would rapidly cause panic and make every company in the region gum up. It also means we can still do the shopping.

And they only test people who actually have symptoms. Not everyone in the class or family.

We didn't need to go to the test centre, or call the doctor to fit us in between the emergency cases in the middle of the night, and we could have avoided three hours of phone calls yesterday morning.

Germany is very good at systems, but not so good when a system goes "boink". It took one person to send out an incorrect email yesterday to mess things up locally.

I dread to think how swamped the test centres were yesterday...

Last edited:
Top Bottom