Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Working at home tomorrow (University). The Finance Director wants all the 'sort of senior staff' to work from home - only found out as I was leaving as I'm an early start/finish. No issues. Get this, my access is faster at home next to the cooker than in the office plugged in..... I need a plan to work from home more often (I'm expected in every day despite no academics being in on a Friday anyway). :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son is out 'paint balling' of sorts with work mates. Their Jobs are running key servers for IT systems. Their data centre is on lock down - i.e. nobody in or out, even employees (hotel on site for those in there). Erm, he isn't back yet from getting sweatty shooting his work mates, I'll chuck him in the shower ASAP. He's not one bit bothered despite elderly relatives, and he's ignored the fact he is in a high risk group - T1 Diabetic - if he get's ill we will have to look after him 24/7. :whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm philosophically not that bothered about my survival,more my 23 year old daughter's and my ex wife...and my dog!

Three videos for you. Any of you old enough like me,to remember the first one?

Last edited:
I'm in India due to fly home (to Norway) in 13 days. Flights to and from India are severely affected and the planes may be indefinitely grounded.

As and when I get home I will have to go into, at least, a two-week quaratine at home.

But I'm fit and healthy, the sun is shining and there is $hit loads of toilet paper (unused!) in all the shops.

😉😎☀️

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
And it will get much busier.

My son has been sent home from work because of a case in one part of the very large building. The office has sent home anyone with health issues such as lung/chest/cardiac problems or weakened immune systems. Luckily (or unluckily) for him he can do much of his work online so it stops the boredom setting in.

My father did get out late yesterday.

Under no illusions. The reason why he was admitted was originally the symptoms were similar to coronavirus. This morning he got told to go and see a doctor or a nurse, but he's not allowed in the building, due to a er cough. Telephone advice.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How do we check our body temperature if we don't have thermometers? I'm thinking that most of those new type ones where you point it at the head have been bought up by the selfish stockpilers. Can we go to a health centre to be tested by a 'treatment room' nurse?

AuroraSaab

Veteran
They are still available on Amazon for delivery at the end of March. We still have a couple from when the kids were little, and I bought my son one to take back to uni a couple of weeks ago. They are well worth keeping in the drawer, not just for situations like this. I'm a bit of an overbuyer anyway (borderline doomsday prepper..), so having 40 rolls of Costco bog paper, thermometers, and 15 tins of beans on the go, is pretty much de rigueur in our house. One of the reasons we have never bought a big freezer is because I wouldn't be able to stop myself ramming it full of stuff we would never get round to eating.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
How do we check our body temperature if we don't have thermometers? I'm thinking that most of those new type ones where you point it at the head have been bought up by the selfish stockpilers. Can we go to a health centre to be tested by a 'treatment room' nurse?

No. If you have fever and a persistent cough you should be self isolating and not going anywhere near a health centre.
If you've got a fever and a persistent cough, you'll know. You don't need a thermometer. If you're sat there comfortably, wondering whether your body temperature is raised, it isn't.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Take a 25mm cube of frozen distilled water with a mass of 15g. Tilt your head back until you can't see the internet and balance the cube on your forehead. During fusion, temperature of the ice and thus temperature difference remains constant, 37 ºC - 0 ºC. So heat rate is constant, if you assume a constant heat transfer coefficient h. Therefore, total energy transferred is equal to 0.0015 kg times enthalpy of fusion (J/kg) of water equal to h (W/m2.K) times superficial area A of the ice mass times temperature difference (37 ºC = 37 K) times time t. From this, you get time t. For the mass of 0.0015 kg you get the volume V with density of ice at 0 ºC (slightly less than 1,000 kg/m3). The question is then what it is the area A, which in our case is 375mm squared. I have taken a typical value of heat transfer to ambient by natural convection and thermal radiation h = 10 W/m2K which means the ice cube should melt completely in 76 minutes and 33 seconds assuming you stay perfectly still and facing away from the internet. If it melts quicker than this, your temperature is elevated.

Get back to us and let us know how you get on.

Take a 25mm cube of frozen distilled water with a mass of 15g. Tilt your head back until you can't see the internet and balance the cube on your forehead. During fusion, temperature of the ice and thus temperature difference remains constant, 37 ºC - 0 ºC. So heat rate is constant, if you assume a constant heat transfer coefficient h. Therefore, total energy transferred is equal to 0.0015 kg times enthalpy of fusion (J/kg) of water equal to h (W/m2.K) times superficial area A of the ice mass times temperature difference (37 ºC = 37 K) times time t. From this, you get time t. For the mass of 0.0015 kg you get the volume V with density of ice at 0 ºC (slightly less than 1,000 kg/m3). The question is then what it is the area A, which in our case is 375mm squared. I have taken a typical value of heat transfer to ambient by natural convection and thermal radiation h = 10 W/m2K which means the ice cube should melt completely in 76 minutes and 33 seconds assuming you stay perfectly still and facing away from the internet. If it melts quicker than this, your temperature is elevated.

I'm stealing that as well

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Just got back from the health centre. I have a temp'of 150F and been sent home to self isolate!!!😥

Top Bottom