Coronavirus effecting your place of work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi
Just reading the news that Jaguar/Land rover are starting to suffer from getting parts due to the shut down of China as well as JCB.
Were i work it's also having a knock on affect. My work depends heavily on PPE equipment and without it production would cease. Virtually all of it comes from China and my company has gone into panic mode buying and stock piling it up 10 fold.
If the supply chain does stop its going to take a considerable amount of time to get the supply chain going again.
My company is relatively small compared to the likes of some and can imagine it would create havoc to the huge factories dotted up and down the country.
I was wondering have you seen any affects yet were you work from the supply chains from China?

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm not so bothered about the supply chain, more the possibility it arrives here. My workplace is very busy, maybe 300 workers daily, sometimes 600 at peaks. I caught TB because of the close proximity of colleagues, coronavirus would be a nightmare to avoid.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I believe it is Nissan in Japan that have shut down for 2 weeks due to supply issues from China. This is of course part of the 'just in time' inventory system and the potential issues with it. I know that it has the Japanese government worried as they have just increased sales tax and have released less than stellar economic performance (again) and are considering a large stimulus package...

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Got an email about a week ago saying sliding folding door gear that i thought was made in Germany may suffer as the components come from China .

bruce1530

Guru
Most IT suppliers are warning of delivery time uncertainties.

The largest tech trade show in Europe took place last week. Some of the biggest exhibitors (notably LG) pulled out because of the difficulties in getting staff and equipment from the far East. LG, of course, is Korean owned, not Chinese.

Also heard today about the effect that Corona virus is having on the Scottish salmon industry!
A significant percentage of Scottish salmon is exported to china and surrounding areas. These products are shipped “air freight” in the hold of passenger flights. But since most flights to/from china are cancelled, there’s no freight.

DRM

Guru
I believe it is Nissan in Japan that have shut down for 2 weeks due to supply issues from China. This is of course part of the 'just in time' inventory system and the potential issues with it. I know that it has the Japanese government worried as they have just increased sales tax and have released less than stellar economic performance (again) and are considering a large stimulus package...
This scenario, caused by Coronavirus has shown Just in time up for the load of ballcocks that it is, along with the run lean idea that’s also beloved of the Japanese, the trouble is all will go back to as it was once Coronavirus is back under control, nobody will learn from this.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
This is the downside of relying on Just In Time and a single supplier. A few years ago our customer had to discontinue one of their products because the component factory was destroyed by a tsunami in Japan.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
We had a travel ban to China put in place almost immediately when it happened, that has since been widened around the whole Far East. My counterpart in Singapore is currently quarantined at home because someone in his office building contracted the virus. Regarding orders/cash, we deal in data so are not massively affected yet, however our main revenue comes from the automotive sector so we are expecting a few problems as they get impacted.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I work for an airline, we've had impact at gates at international stations (checking where our US-bound customers have been in the last 2 weeks through data and passport stamps etc, as is the US administration's want), we've had suspected infected people on board involving quarantined passengers, we've then had quarantined aircraft having to go for deep cleaning. And all the supply chain stuff I'm guessing, though I don't have visibility of that.

Could be interesting in work mad UK - if people are told to take 2 weeks off and self isolate with a cold ! - Wonder what Boris Johnson and the CBI would make of that.

Top Bottom