Coronavirus effecting your place of work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The cycle trade is one that relies heavily on far eastern made components. Carbon frames may well end up in short supply.
Predominantly made in Taiwan which is working normal-ish
I talk to contacts in PRC every day. They are almost all working from home, which is fine if you have a job that allows this. Factories are working but require a lot of permitting to reopen and a lot of the workforce haven't returned after CNY
There is no possibility of the Chinese manufacturing economy returning to normal for several months so these ripples we feel here will become more severe

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Education sector here - no impact other than teams working behind the scenes about business/building continuity should people start falling ill here. We have an office in Wuhan which is still operation, but they could work from home if needed.

If the virus spread, then I could see some serious issues with ability to run the buildings and teach students.

TBH, it's been very bad here with the flu and bad cough's/infections this winter. I've had two lots of bad illness since October, and some colleagues have been very ill - off weeks with infection after infection - I don't suppose Coronavirus will be much worse than the recent rounds of flu. The only issues will be if they shut buildings, having told staff/students to stay home, but I don't think it will come to that.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I do not understand what you mean by that, hardly an excuse if the reason is genuine.
Companies like to have an excuse for slimming down staff levels. Never just that they want 8 people to do the work of 10 to save money.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Feedstocks for many of our chemicals come from China so we're bracing ourselves for more price increases Just as we were recovering from the 18/19 crisis that started with an explosion at a BASF factory.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
But they often can’t , stress and sickness builds and builds, productivity drops, savings aren’t made in reality.

Sometimes, it works the other way, where work is prioritised and those tasks which are deemed low value-adding,are binned. It can avoid a lot of duplication and make an organisation more nimble.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sometimes, it works the other way, where work is prioritised and those tasks which are deemed low value-adding,are binned. It can avoid a lot of duplication and make an organisation more nimble.

Like binning meeting involving more than 2 or 3 people which are mostly low value in most organisations.

Zipp2001

Veteran
We just received notice that our China factory should be back up and running sometime next week. It's been tough because I have new products designed for some customers that has now been pushed back a bit.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
But they often can’t , stress and sickness builds and builds, productivity drops, savings aren’t made in reality.
In that case the company has cocked up because eight people clearly can't do the work of ten. But I've been in a few organisation where they could have happily reduced the labour force without impact - the worst being a local authority where my section could easily have been halved and it would still have been a comfortable job to do.

Top Bottom