Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
when they lift mask mandates must it be all or nothing? why can't they say something like, it's ok to be outside, 6 ft away from ppl w/o your mask. I'm really tired of riding my bike w/ a freaking mask on
Is it mandatory there outside? If not, stop wearing it and keep away from people? Go cycling when it’s quiet like 6am.
Most on here are in the U.K., so no idea on US mask rules or legislation. Maybe ask your local community groups or legislators?

Johnno260

Veteran
I wear one outside if I need to pick the kids up from the school gates, I'm in a minority that does this but it seems to make sense to me.

If I do the weekly shop and need to visit other stores I don't take it off between stores as it seems a little counter productive to keep touching the mask and my face.

I don't think it's ever been mandatory to cycle and mask in the UK, I have one in a saddle pack in case, but that's all.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Revised order requiring masks in public places https://www.mass.gov/news/mask-up-ma

"Governor Baker issued an Order effective November 6, 2020 requiring face masks or cloth face coverings in all public places, whether indoors or outdoors, even where they are able to maintain 6 feet of distance from others." [Exemption for under 5s, and others eg swimming, eating and drinking in restaurants (!!)]

Think it's fair to suggest that the rule in Massachusets is not 'following' the science. $300 fine threat. I am amazed a freedom-loving nation / state subjects itself to such disproportionate measures.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Maybe ask your local community groups or legislators?
even if you can socially distance
Would it be irresponsible to suggest that you, with a few friends (masked up of course), visit the Massachusetts State House to make your point? Was it you who suggested that in early March Texas and Mississippi were totally irresponsible to relax restrictions various?
Edit: @rockyroller "& there's these nutz"
1619097886166.png

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/state/texas
1619098108592.png

Daily cases in Massachusets = 227 per million (cf in UK about 37pm and Texas about 160pm).

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Was it you who suggested that in early March Texas and Mississippi were totally irresponsible to relax restrictions various?

It is possible to take an irresponsible risk and get away with it... (don't personally have a view on the topic, but just because something turns out well or bad doesn't mean the risk was assessed responsibly beforehand)

Rocky

Hello decadence
I’ll continue to wear my mask where ventilation is poor and there’s a continued risk of infection.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well I guess the states' Governors were de facto 'responsible'. Perhaps they were informed by the science? Is taking one choice rather than another 'irresponsible' if the available certainties are in short supply? Is the Governor of Massachusetts being 'responsible' by maintaining a law which requires everyone to wear a mask in a public place. Clearly 'responsible' but wise? Mmmm?
"I think it's that way," he said as he set off into the mist across Dartmoor. Someone has to lead.
I’ll continue to wear my mask where ventilation is poor and there’s a continued risk of infection.
With you all the way there @Rocky.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well I guess the states' Governors were de facto 'responsible'. Perhaps they were informed by the science? Is taking one choice rather than another 'irresponsible' if the available certainties are in short supply? Is the Governor of Massachusetts being 'responsible' by maintaining a law which requires everyone to wear a mask in a public place. Clearly 'responsible' but wise? Mmmm?
"I think it's that way," he said as he set off into the mist across Dartmoor. Someone has to lead.

With you all the way there @Rocky.

It's irresponsible to run across a busy motorway, whether or not you get run over.

It is possible to take an irresponsible risk and get away with it... (don't personally have a view on the topic, but just because something turns out well or bad doesn't mean the risk was assessed responsibly beforehand)
That is very true.

Additionally, worth reading what Rocky wrote before we hang him:

" rockyroller said:
when they lift mask mandates must it be all or nothing?"

[My bold] he hasn't asked for rules to be relaxed. At least not in that post!

vickster

Legendary Member
That is very true.

Additionally, worth reading what Rocky wrote before we hang him:

" rockyroller said:
when they lift mask mandates must it be all or nothing?"

[My bold] he hasn't asked for rules to be relaxed. At least not in that post!
He says...
why can't they say something like, it's ok to be outside, 6 ft away from ppl w/o your mask. I'm really tired of riding my bike w/ a freaking mask on

that reads like he’d like relaxation?

Top Bottom