Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
He is at least consistent. Dashing headlong to a screeching halt is exactly what happened over earlier lockdowns and the Xmas screw up.

It's the compulsive need to lie that gets to me.

He knew the data looked terrible.

He knew influential SAGE members were saying publicly a delay would be needed.

The public knew what was coming.

Why lie?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Once again, those who feel it's still unsafe to mix don't have to.

More room in the pubs for those that do.
How cussed do you have to be to sit inside a pub on a day as good as this? Sit in the shade in the garden! Protect the NHS! Save lives!

Attachments

• Image3373693165829216551.jpg
    Image3373693165829216551.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 4

lane

Veteran
Do you doubt their expertise, since you used quotes?

Since it is a different outcome to other countries yes - although they could be the ones who are right I suppose. Still some countries experts must be more expert than others and on the whole ours haven't exactly covered themselves in glory thus far.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The only experts in the field are viralogists surely? By the the time politicians of all colours and nations, big business and the stupidity of people have tw*tted about with the reality it becomes something else entirely

lane

Veteran

lane

Veteran
Just putting quotes around 'experts' is all a bit brexity, that's all.

Well when it was Brexit I would certainly have agreed with you. However seeing how Covid has unfolded I have become more sceptical of Experts. I know they were supposedly given an out of date text book or something but even so.....

lane

Veteran
The only experts in the field are viralogists surely? By the the time politicians of all colours and nations, big business and the stupidity of people have tw*tted about with the reality it becomes something else entirely

I don't know exactly who makes the recommendation but it certainly is not polititions. I would be interested in due course to hear the rationale but as it goes against what is happening in the US and Israel I expect it's a mistake.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The issue of whether to recommend vaccination of under 18s is a significant challenge and the stakeholders/experts are not just virologists. There are ethical issues individual v community and individual v classmates. Like many things there is unlikely to be a simple binary 'answer'. @lane : the rationale/judgement call is that the risk of vaccination is greater or less than the benefit accrued: simples.
I suggest you research carefully what the situation is in the USA. Aiui the FDA have authorised the emergency use of some vaccines, but the recommendation is froma different body. I suspect @roubaixtuesday would be able to share the dynamics.
Anyway this is media clickbait. There is no spare Pfizer/Moderna to vaccinate under 18s. Once all adults (18-39) are given their first dose, all the supplies will be needed for their second dose. So it'll be September before there'd be supplies for under 18s. No rush decision is required, except by the media.
On the plus side (for @shep et al) I can confirm that our evening ride to the pub and several (shared) half gallon jugs of ale were the social highlight of the week (so far). We sat outside till a heavy shower forced us under canvas, and then out onto the road for a dampish ride home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom