Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I suspect @roubaixtuesday would be able to share the dynamics.

AIUI:

It is not legal to promote a medicinal product for an "indication" without approval. "Indication" includes the condition it's approved for and the age range. Until the first indication of a new medicine is approved, it's not legal to supply the product commercially.

The MHRA is the regulatory body for approval in the UK. I believe the MHRA has recently approved the use of the Pfizer vaccine in children:

We have carefully reviewed clinical trial data in children aged 12 to 15 years and have concluded that the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective in this age group and that the benefits of this vaccine outweigh any risk.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...-pfizerbiontech-vaccine-in-12-to-15-year-olds

The indication for the vaccine is now "Active immunisation to prevent COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2 virus, in individuals 12 years of age and older.", so that means Pfizer can legally promote the vaccine for use in anyone aged 12+ I don't think any of the other vaccines have yet filed for approval in children, and I think trials are ongoing in younger children.

However, whether it is included in the vaccine rollout isn't dictated by the MHRA. The vaccine rollout is run by the NHS, decided and funded by the govt on the advice of the JCVI (Joint committee on vaccination and immunisation). So even if approved, if the JCVI advise on balance that the govt shouldn't run a programme in adolescents, then individual doctors can prescribe the vaccine, but there will be no mass rollout. And NHS may not fund it for individual doctors, so you might need to go private, and even that might not be possible due to supply (if all the supply is directed to the govt programme, even if prescribed, it's not actually available).

I would hope that at the very least, children at severe risk can get immunised now, and personally I'd like the 12-17 yo age range vaccinated ASAP as continued school disruption is the last thing they need, and the benefits for population herd immunity are huge. I *think* 16&17 yos aren't included in the current rollout plan (I have a 16yo) ?

Doctors can prescribe the use of any medicine for children, even if not approved, so-called "off label" use. So if a doctor concludes that an 11yo is at severe risk from COVID, and would benefit from vaccination, there is nothing legally to stop them prescribing the vaccine for them. Many drugs commonly used in children have never been tested in a paediatric population. Current regulations now require a paediatric development plan to be approved for every new drug for adults, to avoid that in future.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well done you, our Pub still insists on no more than 6 per table even outside. Which was kind of my point, glad you're out and about though. đź‘Ť
I've been out and about throughout, as key worker and covid volunteer. Yesterday's refreshment stop was on the way home after meeting a councillor.

I am very surprised that you support a pub that is making up its own extra restrictions that appear to have almost no scientific support (as outdoor transmission is very very rare and current regs allow up to 30 at a table) but if you feel the law is now too weak, I guess it's good someome offers that choice to nervous customers.

I've been out and about throughout, as key worker and covid volunteer. Yesterday's refreshment stop was on the way home after meeting a councillor.

I am very surprised that you support a pub that is making up its own extra restrictions that appear to have almost no scientific support (as outdoor transmission is very very rare and current regs allow up to 30 at a table) but if you feel the law is now too weak, I guess it's good someome offers that choice to nervous customers.
It's my local so either stick to their rules or don't go, unfortunately I like going so have to put up with it.

I must have got you mixed up with some other poster as I thought you were working from home and very cautious about mixing, my mistake.

What does a Covid volunteer do as a matter of interest?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
And so the Brexit tapir comes home to roost.

The deepest irony. A vaccination programme dishonestly attributed to Brexit was claimed as our triumphant way out of the pandemic ahead of the perfidious EU. This is now mown down by the delta variant actually attributable to our prioritisation of promoting Brexit, and we end thereby end up last European nation out of the pandemic*

Apologies for my mixed metaphors, but I'm really pissed off as we're almost certainly going to have to cancel our French holiday. No Alpine cols for us. And yes, I know, first world problems and all, but everyone else in the EU will be able to go there.

1623923144938.png

*not yet certain, but the progress of vaccination across the EU and the plummeting case rate makes it very likely that even if they suffer a significant delta impact, they'll be further ahead than we are in vaccination, so it will be less significant than it is here.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have a friend who works for Greater Manchester Police.

Apparently the rank and file are being advised not to scan in when visiting a pub, restaurant etc so as not to get "caught" by the quarantining requirements in the event of a positive case in the establishment.

We're all in this together...or not it seems. Maybe I should do the same and not scan in, given I think my job is no less important than theirs?

I have a friend who works for Greater Manchester Police.

Apparently the rank and file are being advised not to scan in when visiting a pub, restaurant etc so as not to get "caught" by the quarantining requirements in the event of a positive case in the establishment.

We're all in this together...or not it seems. Maybe I should do the same and not scan in, given I think my job is no less important than theirs?
This isn't a new concept, surprised your mates blabbed it to you who then puts it on a public forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
This isn't a new concept, surprised your mates blabbed it to you who then puts it on a public forum.

To be honest using one code for the whole of a pub where there are already mitigations in the form of capacity limits, table service etc is a bit OTT.

I've been on a couple of Caravan & Motorhome Club Sites during lockdown. We're all in our own caravans with capacity limits and distancing in the shared facilities. Should I be forced to self isolate 'cos some bloke a quarter of a mile away using different facilities blocks has tested +ve?

lane

Veteran
398 patients admitted to hospital yesterday and admissions up 43%. Cases 11,000 today. I would say we are still looking at roughly 6% of cases requiring hospitalisation. That does make things easier than when the ratio was 20%. However I think if we get to 60,000 cases a day we might have problems and I don't think that's at all unlikely if we open up fully and quite possibly if we don't.

midlife

Guru
Teacher at wife's school pinged on the app and self isolating. Been away to Manchester and Warrington visiting friends. Not sure that's a good idea at the moment....

lane

Veteran
The issue of whether to recommend vaccination of under 18s is a significant challenge and the stakeholders/experts are not just virologists. There are ethical issues individual v community and individual v classmates. Like many things there is unlikely to be a simple binary 'answer'. @lane : the rationale/judgement call is that the risk of vaccination is greater or less than the benefit accrued: simples.
I suggest you research carefully what the situation is in the USA. Aiui the FDA have authorised the emergency use of some vaccines, but the recommendation is froma different body. I suspect @roubaixtuesday would be able to share the dynamics.
Anyway this is media clickbait. There is no spare Pfizer/Moderna to vaccinate under 18s. Once all adults (18-39) are given their first dose, all the supplies will be needed for their second dose. So it'll be September before there'd be supplies for under 18s. No rush decision is required, except by the media.
On the plus side (for @shep et al) I can confirm that our evening ride to the pub and several (shared) half gallon jugs of ale were the social highlight of the week (so far). We sat outside till a heavy shower forced us under canvas, and then out onto the road for a dampish ride home.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/adolescents.html

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
To be honest using one code for the whole of a pub where there are already mitigations in the form of capacity limits, table service etc is a bit OTT.

I've been on a couple of Caravan & Motorhome Club Sites during lockdown. We're all in our own caravans with capacity limits and distancing in the shared facilities. Should I be forced to self isolate 'cos some bloke a quarter of a mile away using different facilities blocks has tested +ve?
That did happen last week to a friend of Mrs B.
A health complaint meant that she and her husband spent a huge part of the last 15 months in isolation. They went to their caravan in Devon and have been pinged by the app and told to leave the site by the owner. My wife has been told that because of the health complaint they have continued to be careful with mixing/distancing and the assumption is it is a visitor to the site, but as they have not been mixing..........

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Given you apparently knew that "this isn't a new concept" it's hardly an earth shattering revelation

What it is is a really good excuse not to log in for track and trace. If off duty police are being told to not log in, why should I log in?

They should either log in or explain publicly why they are advising their staff to not log in

Given you apparently knew that "this isn't a new concept" it's hardly an earth shattering revelation

What it is is a really good excuse not to log in for track and trace. If off duty police are being told to not log in, why should I log in?

They should either log in or explain publicly why they are advising their staff to not log in
Correct, not disagreeing just surprised your mate told you, that's all.

You would think that sort of info would want to be kept quiet.

As for you logging in, do what you like for me.

We haven't heard much about the new normal lately. imo it's more relevant now than ever.

The idea that on a specific date - all restrictions disappear and we go back to how we were deemed like a pipe dream to me.

Next few weeks will be interesting. I can see no reason why infections will start falling - and that would only get worse if we drop all restrictions in July.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom