Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Who is in hospital with Covid or because of Covid is anybodies guess, I would imagine a lot are catching it in the hospitals when there for something else, probably more oldies with as opposed to because of covid but who knows, my point all along is the vaccines are not reducing transmission as much as was being touted especially in older people.
Maybe it's because they feel that now they've had their 2(or 3 jabs), they can just dismiss the precautions they were taking this time last year. There's certainly more older folk out than this time last year.
Maybe their age counts against them with the vaccinations.

Who can say what the real reason is?

Maybe we should get rid of the aluminum door handles we now see in hospitals. The older brass handles had a certain amount of "killing power" with regards infections.

It appears that the South West was the biggest feeder of tests into Immensa, Wales less so, but unnecessary infections and deaths for the two. And for people doing the right thing.
We were used as guinea pigs to test the laboratory ! :angry:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think we can be reasonably confident from past changes that isolation will be cut if that becomes a big problem, even to the point that the isolation no longer reduces spread. TV today was reporting that the health minister wants it cut to 7 days max.
As predicted, just the "max" missing: Covid: Self-isolation cut from 10 days to seven with negative test - BBC News – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59749447

Ajax Bay

Guru
It's been said that London's the canary not in the (decision-making conference) room/garden.
Here's Wednesday's summary:
  • People tested positive for COVID-19 in London was 20,491 [Comment: 22% of the whole UK cases]
  • Daily average per 100,000 rate of 1456 (about 200% up on previous week)
  • In England same rate was (average) 803/100,000
  • [Vaccination status - worse than mostly everywhere in UK]
  • 1,904 COVID-19 patients in London hospitals cf 1,349 on 14 Dec [Comment: 24% of the whole UK hospital COVID-19-occupied beds.]
  • 201 COVID-19 patients in mechanical ventilation beds in London hospitals cf 194 patients on 14 Dec [Comment: flat, then, but time lag for case rate rise not yet kicked in]
  • In the week ending 19 Dec there were 97 deaths in London hospitals of patients who had tested positive for COVID-19 and an additional 9 where COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate, cf 84 and 6 for the previous week.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
As predicted, just the "max" missing: Covid: Self-isolation cut from 10 days to seven with negative test - BBC News – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59749447

The BBC article includes this..

And anyone ending isolation on day seven is strongly advised to limit contact with vulnerable people, not visit crowded or poorly ventilated spaces, and work from home.

That would stop me from going back to work...

vickster

Legendary Member

And anyone ending isolation on day seven is strongly advised to limit contact with vulnerable people, not visit crowded or poorly ventilated spaces, and work from home.

presumably the NHS (and private healthcare sector establishments) will have their own (stricter) rules for return to work?

mjr

But it's only advice so don't go expecting sick pay if you use it as an excuse to keep skiving and selfishly protecting the vulnerable(!)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Funeral today of a work colleague, (not on the team where I work), who died in hospital couple of weeks ago. According to the email which was issued announcing his death, the cause of death diagnosed as COVID.
No information about vaccination status.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I got a newsfeed from the (London) Evening Standard today. It said that approximately 4 million people will leave the epicentre of the omicron surge to spend time with their families over Christmas. On the train on the way back from the hospital where my mother was admitted for a heart attack 2 days ago, and who I can't see because of covid protocols, proper mask wearing was down to around 50%. What could possibly go wrong?

mjr

New peak of cases reported of 106'000. Professor Spiegelhalter points out the 100'000 cases/day found was actually reached on the 15th and cases found are no longer rising as fast as expected but case numbers are unreliable anyway.

PK99

Legendary Member
I would imagine a lot are catching it in the hospitals

I know of 2 cycling colleagues who died "of" covid,

One very early in the pandemic, no idea how he caught it, or of any underlying issues

The other, in hospital for one of his many other ailments - caught Covid while in hospital and died.

Last edited:
I know of 2 cycling colleagues who died "of" covid, or of any underlying issues

One very early in the pandemic, no idea how he caught it

The other, in hospital for one of his many other ailments - caught Covid while in hospital and died.

Nothing you can do if you need to be hospitalised , chances are you are going to be exposed to the virus.

midlife

Guru
New peak of cases reported of 106'000. Professor Spiegelhalter points out the 100'000 cases/day found was actually reached on the 15th and cases found are no longer rising as fast as expected but case numbers are unreliable anyway.

I was listening to him on the way home, was also saying that a study of 22000 in Scotland suggests omicron puts 2/3rd less people in hospital than delta. Mind you at the current rate of infection that's still a lot of people who may require hospital treatment.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was listening to him on the way home, was also saying that a study of 22000 in Scotland suggests omicron puts 2/3rd less people in hospital than delta. Mind you at the current rate of infection that's still a lot of people who may require hospital treatment.
Current sick absence rates in the NHS are at 10% (over 13% in London). We could end up with as many as never before needing hospital treatment and ever fewer medics to care for them when it bites.

Top Bottom