Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Due to the Coronavirus outbreak in Italy, my thrip there tomorrow has just been cancelled by our customer.
In other news, our supply chain for certain chemicals is drying-up as most these days come from China

The wonders of targets and box ticking.

I got a letter a couple of years ago from my GPs about a routine kinda age related blood sample they needed. I assumed it would be done there by the nurse. Rolled up, waited to be called, went and sat in front of GP - he clicked a few keys and printed out a chit for me to trot off, make a separate appointment at a local blood testing place/hospital - then I was to trot along there and then return to GPs for the post test chat.

I played merry hell with him for wasting my time/the practice treating me like an idiot. Asked him why they couldn't just have posted me a notice to trot along to the blood place.

I asked if they had got "points"/credit for my totally pointless visit and he had to admit that they had.

(suppose the thing may have been a sly test as to whether I still had my marbles/basic assertiveness)

Yup they bombard me with phone calls and letters to go for an ashtma check - even though I am under the care of respiratory consultant.

Even when did go for the check and my peak flow was 350 (should be 600) - they didn't want to refer me to a respiratory consultant. I said "what was the point of calling me in for check ? - you have found a problem but don' t want to do anything about." it was a further 5 visits before I got referred.

Basically the GP practice gets £75 for each Asthma check - but the CCG has to pay if I am referred on. total farce.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Due to the Coronavirus outbreak in Italy, my thrip there tomorrow has just been cancelled by our customer.
In other news, our supply chain for certain chemicals is drying-up as most these days come from China
The problem with the Italian outbreak was that, up until Friday, there were only two reported cases. By Sunday that had risen to 150 with three deaths. This means that the virus has been present in the Lombardy region for a considerable time (generally symptoms don't manifest until about D12 so those who have died must have contracted it at least a couple of weeks ago). During that two week period there was free travel throughout Italy and elsewhere in Europe so infected individuals will have travelled outside the main infected region. In the meantime there are dozens of flights every day between Milan and UK

I don't want to sound alarmist but there is a small but real chance this could be very serious indeed. As I have a couple of family member who would be considered "susceptible" we have bought masks (the supply of masks in UK is tiny and will run out very quickly) and am taking sensible precautions such as wearing gloves on the tube

and am taking sensible precautions such as wearing gloves on the tube

What sort of gloves?

I have read that it might be most likely to be spread by touching surfaces. Correct?

Aren't you outside London? If so, will you be wearing gloves on local public transport?

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
You would need to wear gloves in all enclosed public spaces including cafes and supermarkets. Preventing the spread of disease at this point may be possible but would require a major army mobilization to enforce no movement zones.

You would need to wear gloves in all enclosed public spaces including cafes and supermarkets. Preventing the spread of disease at this point may be possible but would require a major army mobilization to enforce no movement zones.
That's what I was thinking to be honest.

Very hard not to touch anything, door handles etc.

I was in a London museum the other day and did notice a chap using his elbow on a door handle - may have been in a toilet, can't remember.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wonder if gloves would be much help in avoiding the virus.

My understanding is it cannot live long on a hard surface.

The main transmission method is from droplets exhaled by coughs and sneezes.

I suppose you could get it if an infected person sneezed on a handrail and you grabbed the rail soon after.

greenmark

Guru
It is assumed that it transmits like other coronaviruses. There are four principal vectors for transmission:
- airborne via a cough or sneeze. The best bet is to stay at least 1.5m away from anyone that sneezes. If they've sneezed, it's too late.
- if they sneeze onto a surface, then the droplets will stay there for several hours. If you touch that surface then touch your eyes, mouth or nose then you can be susceptible. So wash your hands, regularly. Definitely before you prepare food or eat anything, including snacks.
- some coronavirus are spread through viral spray from flushing toilets. However this version does not often produce diaorrhea. However there is one confirmed case of faecal transmission in Hong Kong
- sharing utensils/food/cups.

I suppose you could get it if an infected person sneezed on a handrail and you grabbed the rail soon after.

The principal vector is if you pick it up on your hands and then touch your face. Gloves help this because they remind you not to touch your face. Same with face masks.
But just wash your hands. All the time. Soap and warm water. And keep away of anyone who is coughing or sneezing.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Dead easy.....

Person with the virus coughs into their hand (nice and polite). Then puts hand on doorhandle etc. Virus is on doorhandle and viable for a significant period of time

Gloves are very effective as the glove wearer gets the virus on their gloves but the glovewearer doesn't then put the glove in their mouth/nose. Any gloves will do and there is the added benefit that you don't feel self conscious wearing them on, say the tube, whereas you would with a mask

I am also making sure that after I leave public toilets (after washing my hands) I am using my elbows to open doors. Also using knuckles on lift buttons is a good idea

Really the most effective way you can reduce the likelihood of catching it (other than changing your lifestyle) is to frequently wash hands, wear gloves in areas with large footfall and wear a mask (which isn't great to stop you inhaling the droplets but discourages you from putting your fingers in your mouth)

D

Deleted member 26715

I have to go down to the Evil place on Wednesday, it will involve at least 3x 30 minute tube journeys, I'll be honest I'm not looking forward to it.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I have to go down to the Evil place on Wednesday, it will involve at least 3x 30 minute tube journeys, I'll be honest I'm not looking forward to it.

Why not try the bike hire scheme there (unless you have a load of stuff with you of course).
I used it last time I went and it was great. If you have a phone- You just donwload an app - they ping you a 4 digit unlock code - when you get to the bike- enter the code and off you go. You never have to go near another tube train again.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

The tube has always had a well deserved reputation for passing on infections.

Gloves won't do you a lot of good when you are close enough to the bloke hanging off the next strap to kiss him.

A mask might be a worthwhile precaution.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The Ospreys amd Ulster have postponed their matches in Italy next week.
England Rugby team are playing in Rome on 14th March.
if that games doesn’t go ahead then we know this is serious.

Top Bottom