Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Well, so far so good. All those being tested for the virus have been given the all clear. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51241245

I wish the experts would make their mind up. I cannot decide if I should spend like mad, just in case it is the end of the world, or, just plod on as usual. ;)

Julia9054

Guru
Actually, tens of thousands die each year, from flu, in USA alone. Think most don't worry about what the news don't print...
I read that the mortality rate is currently estimated to be 3%. Rate for seasonal flu is 1% for comparison
3% is likely to be an over estimate as not all contracting this corona virus will visit the doctor and have their illness confirmed.
As with flu, the deaths are amongst the old, sick and immunocompromised
Unlike flu, there is no vaccine as of yet

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
On another board there are posters both in China itself and in countries nearby - Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore etc. Their feelings are that this is being woefully under-reported by the Chinese authorities, just as they did with SARS (when Doctors were ordered to hide bodies in locked rooms to stop WHO Drs seeing them). A 1000-bed hospital is being built in 10 days (:ohmy:) to cope with the demand. They also point to the announcements by the Chinese Leadership which emphasise control and stability - key things for a totalitarian dictatorship, bad news is destabilising. Local "mayors" who reported figures during the SARS outbreak were executed for revealing deaths before Central Government so local reporting has been subdued this time around.

Meanwhile, isn't it a bit odd for the BBC to be sending reporters into a quarantined zone where there's a deadly virus which still isn't understood?
Authorities in China are intensifying travel restrictions in an attempt to limit the spread of the deadly new coronavirus.

The BBC's Stephen McDonell and his team travelled into Hubei province, where the outbreak originated.

View: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-51255918/china-coronavirus-road-blocks-and-ghost-towns

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Actually, tens of thousands die each year, from flu, in USA alone. Think most don't worry about what the news don't print...
And the press does love to whip us all into a frenzy... fearing for our lives, especially when it's a foreign virus rather than the good old British flu. There was a minor panic on facebook the other day... 14 people in the UK have been tested! OMG!! No mention of the fact that they'd all been tested and given the all clear... just the word 'tested' was enough to make people fear the worst

Given the level of PPE being deployed ( class 4 pathogen level) and the fact that the Chinese have already mapped the genome of the virus, and know exactly what they are up against, I’d say we should be concerned.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/c...ws-people-collapsing-suddenly-Wuhan-city.html
This doesn’t exactly help either.

ianbarton

Veteran
Is it any worse than the annual 'flu season though?
So far the death rate is around 3%, so hardly catastrophic. It would be interesting to know if deaths are distributed through all sectors of those infected, or are mainly in groups that have something like chronic respiratory diseases. Please can we have some Chinese companies in the UK that can build a thousand-bed hospital in a week?

Julia9054

Guru
So far the death rate is around 3%, so hardly catastrophic. It would be interesting to know if deaths are distributed through all sectors of those infected, or are mainly in groups that have something like chronic respiratory diseases. Please can we have some Chinese companies in the UK that can build a thousand-bed hospital in a week?
Please see my post up thread

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I read that the mortality rate is currently estimated to be 3%. Rate for seasonal flu is 1% for comparison
3% is likely to be an over estimate as not all contracting this corona virus will visit the doctor and have their illness confirmed.
As with flu, the deaths are amongst the old, sick and immunocompromised
Unlike flu, there is no vaccine as of yet
3% is not to he sneezed at....

Top Bottom