Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
In 2005 when the H5N1 virus was being touted as the next Spanish flu, the Chinese were not so fast to act, the BBC and Daily Mail went in to full panic mode and the final death count was about 500.

Obviously we don't know how this one will end up, but, the reporting seems completely out of context and designed to whip up hysteria.

But building a hospital in 10 days is pretty cool.

I’d be interested to hear about anyone who’s contracted it, gone through the symptoms, and survived, and if any legacy effects are left.

Ordinarily I wouldn’t be too concerned. However, a few years back, when the swine flu thing was happening, a colleague of mine came into work, not looking terribly well, by the time he was half way through his shift he was sent home, and now there’s a tree with a plaque attached to it, in his memory, in our grounds. It just so happens a new starter to us, is currently in China, because that’s where his GF lives, I hope he gets quarantined, that would be properly funny.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I went for a check yesterday as was feeling a bit unfer the weather after my travels, I has become vey white and hairy, I couldn’t bear it any more....turns out I have contracted Crestavirus, it’s like Coronavirus but more frothy....

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The UK Government is asking anyone who has recently returned from Wuhan to self isolate themselves.
This isn’t going to happen, people are inherently selfish and will carry on with their lives.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The Spanish flu pandemic which lasted from 1918 to 1920 killed about 50 million people worldwide including about 650,000 in the US. It was an unusual strain in that a very large proportion of the victims were young and healthy, unlike "normal" flu which tends to strike down the elderly and infirm. I suppose I should worry more about Coronavirus but you get pretty jaded by the relentless stream of apocalyptic tales that the media rams down your throat.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
The UK Government is asking anyone who has recently returned from Wuhan to self isolate themselves.
This isn’t going to happen, people are inherently selfish and will carry on with their lives.
Agreed plus you have the ignorance factor where most people still think its just a regular flu bug.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Unlike flu, there is no vaccine as of yet

Actually since only a handful of strains of flu are chosen by the WHO to produce vaccines, out of numerous possible strains both in existence and mutated etc., the effectiveness of vaccines has not exactly been stellar, else the annual death toll from flu won't be so huge.

But building a hospital in 10 days is pretty cool.

Things certainly work differently there. I happened to be in country (thankfully not Wuhan) for a day a couple of weeks ago. What is interesting, is that some in the West still think it is a backward country only noted for paddy field farming and making cheap counterfeit goods. I have no doubt those hospitals will be built on time - you can see Youtube time lapses of them replacing a 1300 tonne bridge in a busy Beijing interchange under 4 days, or erecting a 57 storey skyscraper in 19 days.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
He was infected by a visitor from China, who only felt unwell on the plane back home. The virus is infectious before the symptoms start to be felt.

Top Bottom