Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm sure that's the reason it's being done.

But at the end of the day they aren't key workers - so are going against what BJ said the other night.

I literally just got my cracked window pane replaced just before this lockdown. The company weren't sure they could do it as they were not sure if staff would turn in.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
So now Charles has caught it, is displaying mild symptoms "but otherwise remains in good health".

The bit I have difficulty understanding, is this:

""The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire, where they met the criteria required for testing."

while nurses and doctors on the front line getting symptoms have to self-isolate, because there aren't enough test kits!

Could someone please explain it to me?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Scottish government said all building sites should close immediately, Westminster said they should stay open.
It is rubbish! I work in tech support and most of my calls come from construction sites all over the UK. Numbers are way down but still am getting more than I thought we would.
All my on site training sessions have been stopped though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Macron's just said that france are doing 9000 tests a day and will get up to 19,000 by the end of the week. It's not just the UK, Spain and America that are not doing the testing.

The dutch are claiming R_0 is below 1.

PK99

Legendary Member
Given the government can only muster c6,500 PCR tests per day (as of yesterday), what hope do we have of getting volume antibody testing anytime soon?

The chart below shows London perhaps will not turn out as badly as Madrid.

View attachment 510373

On the other hand New York, with a population similar to London, is a shocker.

The Log plot turning over is good news.

Indeed NY looks very bad

marinyork

You already know, he’s royalty and they enjoy different rules to us commoners.

Aside from Charles this is what loads of other celebrities and important people elsewhere in the world have done. Got antibody tests in their cases. The bit that's sad is that all these celebs and nomenklatura have still managed to spread it to the peasants working for them anyway going by if you follow a lot of the stories.

So now Charles has caught it, is displaying mild symptoms "but otherwise remains in good health".

The bit I have difficulty understanding, is this:

""The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire, where they met the criteria required for testing."

while nurses and doctors on the front line getting symptoms have to self-isolate, because there aren't enough test kits!

Could someone please explain it to me?

I think you know the explanation mate.

It always amazes me when some royal lives well into their 90s - people say "isn't he/#she marvellous". - no they have access to top quality health care 24/7

I offer my sincere apologies. May I explain my original post?

I've not been on social media ( apart from this forum) for several years. I also don't listen to news on a regular basis and what news I do follow tends to be Science /technology /sport related.

When I saw your post regarding herd immunity I wasn't aware of the context in which it was posted, and took it to refer to the general established model of herd immunity.
My sincere apologies once again for misunderstanding your post and for any offence caused.
I'm also sorry, it was an unnecessary post by me during a trying time.
You cannot be blamed, at the time of your original post there was a lot of conflicting information kicking about.
I have deleted my sniping comment, and sorry for being an ass about it. Thanks for being so understanding. :sad:

marinyork

From the guardian Rory Carroll

Ireland has changed the criteria for testing for coronavirus to prioritise people that show two symptoms rather than just one, Rory Carroll reports from Dublin.

The National Public Health Emergency Team announced late on Tuesday that people must show fever and at least one sign of respiratory disease, such as coughing or shortness of breath, before being referred for testing.

The change is a response to a backlog of 40,000 cases awaiting testing, and an additional 20,000 people per day seeking testing, which has “cast the net too widely”.

The chief medical officer, Tony Holohan, said this had led to inappropriate testing and the goal now was to focus on people in hospital, healthcare workers and other priority categories.

Of 17,992 tests carried out so far 6% have tested positive. Authorities hope in coming weeks to increase capacity to 15,000 tests a day. Ireland has recorded 1,329 confirmed cases, and seven deaths. Northern Ireland has recorded 172 cases and five deaths.

On Tuesday the taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, announced fresh restrictions – all non-essential shops to close, all sport events cancelled, no outdoor gatherings of more than four people – that came into effect at midnight.

tom73

Guru
Holland & Barrett now offering NHS staff discount at H&B staff rate.

"From today (23/03/2020), until the end of April, we’re offering NHS staff access to our staff discount on all our products in store.
That’s 30% off Holland & Barrett own products, and a 15% discount on all our branded products in store.
It’s simple to claim. Present your NHS ID to our colleagues in store, and we’ll do the rest."

Duffy

Über Member
It could be essential for the people doing the fitting as they may need the money to live on . Not everything is black and white . :okay:

By that argument, everything can , arguably, be essential just now

That’s not an argument that’s just stupid!

There’s a lot of people in a world of financial hurt just now but that doesn’t justify the contact and risk attached.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No it's lot more complex. At what point do you wash your hand before you glove up? Your cars not clinically clean before you use it so thats a problem. Any thing on the trolley get's on the gloves then on the shopping. Your car door handle is not clean your keys are not. So unless you, your shopping and every thing else you come into contact with go though an autoclave every time you wasting your time. Gloves are not magic fix. Really just wash your hands once you get home and for every thing else. If you do it right and when you need too what ever is on your hands is not a issue.
surely anything on the trolley gets on your hands then on the shopping too?

they way I'm looking at it is this... assume your hands are contaminated and try to avoid spreading it to the trolley or the stock. Of course you'll come back and say "don't go shopping then" :whistle:

Top Bottom