Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
No quarrel with any of that. As I said, my conclusion from the data is that all countries have had similar growth rates until stringent control and/or test and trace measures were put in place. The curve from Italy is not an outlier, it's just a few days ahead of the rest. We're bang on track behind them, we'll see whether our measures are more or less effective than theirs. Up until Monday night, I suspect less effective, but that's no more than uninformed personal speculation.

There are other countries on the graph not picked up by people out there that are highly relevant and not getting much comment - Belgium and Switzerland. The swiss think they are four days behind Italy. It's then getting into comparing regions or small countries with large countries or bits of large countries. One of the problems talking about Italy and the UK taking it seriously was that 2-4 weeks ago reporting was very sluggish in the UK. Stuff was getting reported that was 24 hours or days out of date. The north of Pisa stuff that was government advice was particularly bizarre as it suggested that our government was looking at the provincial figures (as was I) and not explaining to the media, guys, guys listen I know there's lockdown in 11 municipalities but we have data that shows it's throughout the whole of the north of Italy.

It's the US that attention will focus on :sad:.

As a general point on movements/social distancing, only the governments will have the data to analyse mobile phone movements. We all hear very mixed messages. One of my friend went for a 3 hour walk yesterday and basically said on the phone that pretty much the entirity of people he saw through large areas of the city were sticking to social distancing. Someone on the other side of the city has groups of 10-20 mixing outside all day, called the police, the police being the police seem disinterested probably as they are in a poor area.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Pubs and licensed cafes and restaurants closed about 30h sooner, less close-proximity mixing on the sunny Saturday, less transmission, fewer hospitalisations, fewer deaths?

I think this is where the UK government has gone wrong. Things change rapidly, but the politicians seems to have got caught out with making decisions around weekends, perhaps buggering off for a bit and leaving the announcements for Mondays/Fridays. I'm sure the civil service were working on it all the weekend. The news cycle also doesn't help. This has happened twice now. The great exodus also happened in Italy on a you guessed it a weekend (although the government attempted to bring it in sooner and not wait to Monday).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Update from the hospital.

A ton of equipment turned up in the early hours of Monday. So with new masks they are now back to be worn 100% of the time by 100% of the staff in A&E. A big change from "Not needed" last Sunday! Surprisingly the PPE gear is just the same as before, gloves, apron & masks, I was expecting some sort of suit for when the confirmed cases are moved.

The waiting room is dead, has been for a week, regular bed occupancy is very low, I'd guess at 30% so there is huge capacity for those not needing ICU.

ICU is filling up though, there are 3 other wards (so far) for virus cases, wards where there are multiple single rooms. The arrivals are of all ages but the "confirmed"cases so far that I have come into contact with, have all been over 80 and with health problems, physical and/or mental, they won't be going to ICU. What has worried me though, is that these patients look to me like they have arrived direct from care homes.......

No visitors at all allowed in now, only (with restrictions) to maternity & the childrens ward.

Does that mean the elderly won't be on ventilators if not going to ICU ? Sounds worrying. It does show you that A&E is full of time wasters mainly. Boils my wee wee.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm getting the feeling that some people still aren't taking this thing seriously if my street is anything to go by.

From my study I can see most of my road and one lot of neighbours are just coming and going almost constantly (driving), our elderly neighbours have their cleaner in as normal as does the old boy across the road (who has many health conditions). Another elderly neighbour has been out at least twice already today (driving). I hope this behaviour is unusual or we really are screwed.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Can someone clarify something for me please.
As I understand it now I can walk from my house for exercise.
But.....I cannot drive to the park for exercise.
I thought I had read that driving to a park was allowed but I can't find anything to say that now so have I imagined that or have the rules just been tightened?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Scottish government said all building sites should close immediately, Westminster said they should stay open.
Did they? I thought both issued the same formal advice (with gov.scot often just pointing at the gov.uk site), but it's not simple (can you build while staying 2m apart? Only some things, not all, I suspect) and the politicians and advisers have interpreted/spun the advice differently.

Even if there were differences, the division of responsibilities would be clear on health matters: if in Scotland, obey the Scottish government at least. If in England, obey the government in Westminster at least.

tom73

Guru
If in any doubt what to do about Covid-19 the following official websites provide information that most people need to know.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/public-health-england
Many of the guides also have simple PDF format posters.

Think you or someone in your household has or may have Covid-19
Don't leave the house
Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital

First thing check using the following link

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/symptoms-and-what-to-do/

If household has possible Covid-19 infection. Not sure what to do once you self Isolate

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance

The same page also has the same advice in other languages and an easy-read format (for Learning disabilities)

Cleaning the house, what to with household waste, What to do if children are in the house, What to if vulnerable people are in the house
Along with other most other common advice is also covered.

Not sure of the how and when the 7/14 day starts and finish. Or a member in the same household get's ill at different times.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874011/Stay_at_home_guidance_diagram.pdf

NHS Youtube clip also has information about coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms, when you will need to stay at home and importantly, how long for.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isTGA_UHH-E

Simple Message

Stay at home , Stay safe , Protect the NHS

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I thought I had read that driving to a park was allowed but I can't find anything to say that now so have I imagined that or have the rules just been tightened?

You are probably best walking from home - I'm seeing folk driving to a trail to then get on running gear. Yes you might do this normally, but just run from home, save cash, and don't make the Govt completely lock us down. I've not touched the cars since coming back from Wales on Sunday. I'll walk at lunch, via the shop, to get milk.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Did they? I thought both issued the same formal advice (with gov.scot often just pointing at the gov.uk site), but it's not simple (can you build while staying 2m apart? Only some things, not all, I suspect) and the politicians and advisers have interpreted/spun the advice differently.

Even if there were differences, the division of responsibilities would be clear on health matters: if in Scotland, obey the Scottish government at least. If in England, obey the government in Westminster at least.
Sturgeon gave a press conference and explicitly said building sites should close immediately. Caused a lot of grief with some of my customers who had manufacturing plants in Scotland and England working to conflicting "advice".

Even now, Saint Gobain are instructing all their manufacturing plants to re-open. Scottish sites have refused, English sites are open.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Can you remember roughly what time this was, please? If I can find it and work remains quiet today, I'll scrobble and transcribe so we can discuss it.
I think it may have been on ”More Or Less” at 9.00 rather than Today.

Reactions: mjr
Where? I criticise Boris for a lot of his shoot and I think it's been the wrong message at times, but he seemed to be doing pretty well in saying effectively the same message as the Welsh and Scottish Governments, as well as most of the regional mayors I've seen on TV, except for a bit of friction with his successor in London.

Only for Matt Hancock to undo all of the above by saying "The only people who should go to work are those who can't work from Home" - Basically every decorator, double glazing installer, Roofer, Chippy - Can this morning go to work.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm pretty sure it's a grey area at the moment, but I'd say please don't do it unless you really need to, like you live on a busy or polluted bit of a trunk route with no side roads or footpath near by. Even then, drive to the nearest park (edit: or if that's too busy, at least a nearby one) and not a National Park on the other side of the country.

As mentioned in other threads, if people travel too much unnecessarily then the lockdown won't slow the virus spread enough and it'll probably be tightened at least twice more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom