Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I thought the idea of a cut in VAT was that goods and services became cheaper so consumers would buy more ?

I think it's to try and stop the complete collapse of some retail, hospitality, pubs and restaurants by trying to make up for reduced footfall of a half and cover the businesses that have large, but less apocalyptic falls in revenue.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Heavens forbid that the national HEALTH service should support HEALTHier travel and not one-person-per-pollution-generator modes(!) I expect there are some who cannot reasonably travel to work except by single-occupancy car (too far/hazardous for e-bike, no public transport, no carpooling possible) who should be given free season tickets, but I find this insistence on blanket free staff car parking rather odd because it must contribute to the motoring death spiral seen at many NHS sites where the danger posed by the high proportion of car journeys deters those who could cycle/e-bike from doing so, both workers and patients, with obvious negative effects on public health.

Many places have staff who travel on public transport. My employer is offering free spaces once we go back, but can only accommodate 24% of staff - the reason is staff aren't comfortable getting public transport, and won't come in other than in the car to 'keep safe'. This is why Trusts are currently stopping parking charges for staff - it has to be fair for all. I won't be using public transport at all. Car, bike or walk.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53334098

About half way down, expectation of the effect of the last VAT cut after the credit crash.

Many of us lived through the world financial crisis and were even unemployed so saw the effects of government actions, or inactions or those actions not working. If you want to go down that avenue go more beefy.

The article talks about then and it says itself it wasn't felt it'd work. I remember people talking about it on tv a couple of years after saying it should have been bigger and other things done. It's only partially relevant here.

The world financial crisis was very different in my opinion. Do you want me to start quoting economic policy after the napoleonic wars or black death in 1347?

mjr

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53334098

About half way down, expectation of the effect of the last VAT cut after the credit crash.
Different cut, different scope, different time, different aim.

mjr

This is why Trusts are currently stopping parking charges for staff - it has to be fair for all. I won't be using public transport at all. Car, bike or walk.
OK, so how is encouraging unnecessary single-user heavy vehicles fair to people walking and cycling? Especially at sites where there isn't enough good cycle parking anyway.

fossyant

OK, so how is encouraging unnecessary single-user heavy vehicles fair to people walking and cycling? Especially at sites where there isn't enough good cycle parking anyway.

Remember not everyone can ,or will walk or cycle - look my colleagues think I'm crazy riding for 2 hours, never mind 4 or 5. We're in a strange situation - many of my colleagues do take public transport - given the parking we have 75% either use public transport, walk or cycle. Most won't go near public transport now, so how else will they get in to work when required. Many folk have health conditions, so avoiding areas of risk is important. Cyclists/walkers are a small minority - you aren't going to change folk. employers are trying to give staff an option to come into work safely, and work flexibly - early or late starts etc.

mjr

Remember not everyone can ,or will walk or cycle
I do remember that, which is why I think those who can't should get free season tickets (for the car park or for public transport) and help arranging carpooling (once this pandemic subsides). Those who won't should get a financial incentive to change, such as being charged for using their car needlessly.

Now please remember that we get what we encourage and free parking encourages single-person motoring and discourages walking and cycling, on top of the inadequate cycle parking and hairy eyeballs also discouraging cycling.

So, I ask again, how is encouraging more single-person motoring fair on those travelling more healthily? Why should workers who do the right thing, like you, be punished and discouraged like this?

Cyclists/walkers are a small minority - you aren't going to change folk. employers are trying to give staff an option to come into work safely, and work flexibly - early or late starts etc.
More flexible working is a good thing, but the NHS changes folk all the time and tries to change them even more, so why not try to make its staff travel healthier?

fossyant

So, I ask again, how is encouraging more single-person motoring fair on those travelling more healthily? Why should workers who do the right thing, like you, be punished and discouraged like this?

We are in a pandemic situation - people are getting overly stressed, not all decisions are right. My employers are reverting to charging for parking in the new year once things settle down. Active travel can also be an issue - who is going to want to share/re-use changing rooms at present - they won't get cleaned between use. I used to get changed in a toilet.

Yeh it's not fair, but be glad that's your choice of transport - it's far safer than a bus.

tom73

Guru
Heavens forbid that the national HEALTH service should support HEALTHier travel and not one-person-per-pollution-generator modes(!) I expect there are some who cannot reasonably travel to work except by single-occupancy car (too far/hazardous for e-bike, no public transport, no carpooling possible) who should be given free season tickets, but I find this insistence on blanket free staff car parking rather odd because it must contribute to the motoring death spiral seen at many NHS sites where the danger posed by the high proportion of car journeys deters those who could cycle/e-bike from doing so, both workers and patients, with obvious negative effects on public health.

Just get off the high horse for a minute many trusts already do promote cycling many staff all ready do cycle to work. Many trust also have public transport deals and the rest. Why don't you look at the real issues all of which the NHS has no control over and take it out on them. Like Public transport which most of the time just wont get many to work if you work shifts. Round here ones that go to the hospital go to one an hour after 6pm. Ward night shifts for most wards start at 8pm so if you miss the connecting bus you're late well late. Now being late in an office is one thing being late but missing the handover is another not forgetting leaving the ward short staffed. That's mon-fri weekend and banks holidays are even worse. Then many NHS staff are female early mornings or late evenings cycling home many won't / don't feel safe. That's mostly down to the way the way society treat women. The bus is out for many of them too as they don't run either. Many hospitals have no safe cycle routes to them either.

Now many who cycle come what may are already active cyclists so none of this stuff is an issue. But many are not some who live local may cycle if they looked into it and the current situation has made some give it a go. Many people don't live local to the place of work anymore the car is the only practical way at the moment a hospital trust can't change that. They are not government, local council or now ever growing metro mayors many who are even worse than the rest.

Then what about the many staff that work on more than one site some are many miles away from the main one. Mrs 73 in the past work at another site 70 mile miles (oneway) not exactly a quick bike ride is it? Or the many that do home visits it's not practical to do them on a bike. Don't say well they use to either as you won't believe the amount of kit many carry round now. Then what about the ones at the bottom of food chain who often have more than one job on basic pay or single parents who need to get home on time or as best they can. They can't afford to be late home or late for job number two. Of course all these issue are pre pandemic the current situation has just made it worse. Now even less can get the bus they are simply not running or not seen as safe

Many would love to go to work by other way but they can't as the options are not practical. It's not black and white so take it out on the powers that be not the staff. Who really right now deserve a break not a lecture on the need to cycle.
The real issue behind this story which clearly has past you by is even now after all this having saved the governments neck yet again.
They still are happy to kick them in the teeth yet again. Or is this really about I can't have it so why should they ?

Top Bottom