Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Although not always enjoyed here, let's have some good news. From the Guardian.

"[...] The ONS said that while recent figures had suggested the percentage of individuals testing positive for Covid-19 had risen since the end of June, there was now evidence to suggest this trend may have levelled off."
Is infections merely levelling off good news? It's better than rising, I guess, but it seems a long way from reducing.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Although not always enjoyed here, let's have some good news.
Good news is always welcome. Why would you think otherwise?
The ONS said that while recent figures had suggested the percentage of individuals testing positive for Covid-19 had risen since the end of June, there was now evidence to suggest this trend may have levelled off.
So the trend has only flattened, even with the current restrictions and precautions. People presently working safely and productively at home are being encouraged - and in some cases shamed - into returning to the workplace. What do you think will happen to the trend when public transport and offices get busier?

Reactions: mjr

MarkF

Guru
Masks? The interminable debate about their efficacity really is total obfuscation and a denial of the bigger picture. Who's actually wearing surgical masks now? After a couple of weeks kids wouldn't be seen dead with them (me neither) so we have the majority wearing "bits of cloth" in their favouritre colour or other "bits of cloth" with their favourite band or their football club on them. It is La- La land.

Bradford has extra measures in place, I am sure the good folk of Ilkley are happy about that.................So you open up a test centre in a place (BD9) where it's impossible for multi-generational households to social distance, then you go door to door encouraging people to test. Whaddayaknow? With highly spurious testing procedure, you get the results you want. But what does this translate into, these + tests? Poorly people? Nope. Increased hospital admissions? Nope. Deaths? Nope. Increased calls to the hospital? Nope.

I'll tell it as it is, I brought up care homes & long term patients risks well before they were accepted and then news, as long as I don't get veiled threats about my employment.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Masks? The interminable debate about their efficacity really is total obfuscation and a denial of the bigger picture. Who's actually wearing surgical masks now? After a couple of weeks kids wouldn't be seen dead with them (me neither) so we have the majority wearing "bits of cloth" in their favouritre colour or other "bits of cloth" with their favourite band or their football club on them. It is La- La land.

Bradford has extra measures in place, I am sure the good folk of Ilkley are happy about that.................So you open up a test centre in a place (BD9) where it's impossible for multi-generational households to social distance, then you go door to door encouraging people to test. Whaddayaknow? With highly spurious testing procedure, you get the results you want. But what does this translate into, these + tests? Poorly people? Nope. Increased hospital admissions? Nope. Deaths? Nope. Increased calls to the hospital? Nope.

I'll tell it as it is for you as long as I don't get veiled threats about my employment.
Part of those measures is not travelling outside the lockdowned area.

Ilkley is a Leeds postcode, not Bradford.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I came home yesterdy to find I'd been invited to take part in an ONS/Oxford University Infection Survey. Somebody will call on me and carry out a bit of daylight swabbery on me. Once I've registered, that is.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Who's actually wearing surgical masks now?

Me - I bought a large box of them in January when one of my Chinese colleagues warned everyone about this.

Oh, and given that locally most are wearing it, but then having parties/large groups round it'll continue even at a lower level. My area's been identified as a large increase but that's down to one care home with 25 cases.

midlife

Guru
There are several grades of surgical mask, the ones we wear at work are type IIR, perhaps the Boots masks are a different grade?

I came home yesterdy to find I'd been invited to take part in an ONS/Oxford University Infection Survey. Somebody will call on me and carry out a bit of daylight swabbery on me. Once I've registered, that is.
Me too, in addition to the ICL ONS study on antibodies and a follow up. Beginning to think my name is in big gold leaf letters on a list somewhere.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is there still a shortage in health care?
If you can buy them in regular outlets such as Boots or Amazon, then they must be ok to wear.
If what I'm seeing locally is mirrored elsewhere, there'll be a few red faces after this is all over.

Workers being able to sell on masks they've been supplied with for working in the local hospitals. It seems to be a case of just request the number you want, and you get them. With no records being kept of how many were given to who.

Top Bottom