Coronavirus & Touring Plans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've family there telling me similar stories. People think they'll avoid the virus as Wales is apparently immune to it. :laugh:
I trust they aren't serious.
If they are please share.
Anything to do with sheep?

I've just had an email from The Camping and Caravanning Club. All club site are closed with immediate effect. No doubt, other sites will follow suit.
Very sensible i think.
And i think they have a pretty old membership profile.
Kinda related, just had a mail that Cotswold is closing all of its shops.

I was wondering about a series of one night microadventures freecamping totally noncontact but maybe in current times one would get black looks and worse. Bike would be clearly loaded, not a shopping setup.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I trust they aren't serious.
If they are please share.
Anything to do with sheep?

They're heading for the hills to go walking in isolation. The problem is that everyone is having the same thoughts and it's resulting in the hills being packed with tourists unable to self isolate and the emergency services are warning they might not be able to attend emergencies as the roads are packed with parked cars.
Some of the locals are getting a bit pi**ed about it understandably.
I think there's similar situations in other walking areas like the peak and lake districts too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
They're heading for the hills to go walking in isolation. The problem is that everyone is having the same thoughts and it's resulting in the hills being packed with tourists unable to self isolate and the emergency services are warning they might not be able to attend emergencies as the roads are packed with parked cars.
Some of the locals are getting a bit pi**ed about it understandably.
I think there's similar situations in other walking areas like the peak and lake districts too.

Well Snowdon is packed for sure. Plenty of north wales hills that will be empty. But that one is the complete opposite even in normal times. Spectacular lack of imagination.

RobinS

Veteran
Well our five month winter season work in Chamonix that was going to pay for a three month european tour has terminated a month early, so now looking for work to tide us over until touring is possible again - don't want to see our savings disappear while we just sit at home. May possibly get a late summer/autumn tour in, but more likely spring 2021 now. Unfortunately I don't even have the urge to rebuild and fettle the touring bikes at present. Though if we have to work for another year, maybe we'll go all out on a big tour 2021 - 6 months or more (if any country will have us for that long).

I'm worrying about mine and my dads plans to do the Way of the Roses in August. Its a way off yet but there's a possibility this damn bug could cause long term closures.
I've not seen him since last summer and was hoping to visit at the end of May, camping overnight. Even that looks like it'll go out the window :sad:
Genuinely gutted for you, but as you say, it's a long way off yet.
You mentioned before that your Dad was "in training" for it.
Whatever happens, I urge you not to give up on the idea!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I was wondering about a series of one night microadventures freecamping totally noncontact but maybe in current times one would get black looks and worse. Bike would be clearly loaded, not a shopping setup.

I was thinking exactly the same. For me though I have the advantage that it's not too far to the edge of town, then it's only a couple of km before I hit the solitude of the forest. I can then go for quite a distance before finding a sneaky quiet spot for a discreet bivy.

I had a few plans this year though for some bike packing trips, including five days in Slovenia this summer. Probably all scrapped now.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've just had an email from The Camping and Caravanning Club. All club site are closed with immediate effect. No doubt, other sites will follow suit.
The Caravan and Motorhome club say they are still open with increased distancing and enhanced cleaning but this may change.

I was due to go up to Inverness on the Caledonian sleeper for a few days up and down the canal and surrounding area but I wouldn’t expect that to happen anytime soon and I wouldn’t want to be part of the type of issues being experienced in these areas

I will maybe look to do a few overnighters with a bivvi/tarp set up, more for my families sanity than mine 😂

I may just practice in the garden if we get full on lockdown

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm trying to reconcile myself to the possibility of 'no trips' of any sort this year.
So if the chance arises I'll be happily surprised.

With teaching schedule cancelled I've got more leisure time when not farm working.

So I'm hoping to spend more time writing up previous journeys..

An enjoyable exercise in itself - almost like doing it again, but without the physical effort.

But also planning some future trips.

It's usually a seat of the pants exercise for me - have a start and end point, a vague plan in the middle, and a tent, and see what happens.

But maybe I could plan something a bit less random, with more time to prep??

Hmmn, it would keep me occupied more anyhow, and annoying others less.

Also very lucky to have lots of semi wild area in the immediate vicinity - for cheeky overnighters.. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom