corporal punishment - never did me any harm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
It's easy to hold the view that the fix for bad behaviour is to reward it with punishment (that's a bit like how some motorists treat cyclists but that doesn't fix anything, just means the motorists get their way while some cyclists cycle less often or become a motorists out of fear of being victimised). The threat of punishment may force people to change their behaviour, but that doesn't fix the underlying causes, and may cause other problems for people. I'm not arguing that punishment is a bad thing, but misused, misguided or inappropriate punishment can be damaging to society in general.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It's easy to hold the view that the fix for bad behaviour is to reward it with punishment (that's a bit like how some motorists treat cyclists but that doesn't fix anything, just means the motorists get their way while some cyclists cycle less often or become a motorists out of fear of being victimised). The threat of punishment may force people to change their behaviour, but that doesn't fix the underlying causes.

In my experience the underlying course of the majority of bad behaviour is a lack of discipline in the home. I will accept that there can be more sinister and vile reasons such as abuse.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
In my experience the underlying course of the majority of bad behaviour is a lack of discipline in the home. I will accept that there can be more sinister and vile reasons such as abuse.

I agree the lack of discipline at home may well be a strong factor in bad behaviour in general, but also where there is discipline, it may not always be appropriate, or used to reinforce the values of the person issuing the discipline which may not be entirely correct, of course that leads to the argument that stupid people shouldn't breed!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I agree the lack of discipline at home may well be a strong factor in bad behaviour in general, but also where there is discipline, it may not always be appropriate, or used to reinforce the values of the person issuing the discipline which may not be entirely correct, of course that leads to the argument that stupid people shouldn't breed!

Am not going there!!! I will say that some discipline is better than none at all.

It seems the previous government provided at best very confusing messages to some schools (or no one in the school actually read the guidance in the first place!).
Bit of both, and not just the previous government either.

Department of Education initiatives get delivered on the same daily routine as the school dinner delivery van, but may require a larger truck. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There you do have a point. Parents are also scared to discipline there children for fear of accusations of assault.

This whole world is fugazi.
strange - I didn't hit my kids because I thought it was wrong, not to say barbaric, not to say ignorant, not to say the first and last recourse of idiots. And, needless to say, those same kids grew up to be model citizens

theclaud

Openly Marxist
All of which proves exactly nothing.

Well it kinda proves that kids can do without the kind of "discipline" that might be construed as assault...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Only if a one person case study can be accepted as proof.

I'm only talking about the standard of "proof" warranted by the current discussion. It's certainly good enough for me. Crackle has it right- I've yet to hear a good reason for hitting kids, and vague laments about kids' supposed lack of "respect" certainly don't cut it.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm only talking about the standard of "proof" warranted by the current discussion. It's certainly good enough for me. Crackle has it right- I've yet to hear a good reason for hitting kids, and vague laments about kids' supposed lack of "respect" certainly don't cut it.

Interesting. I wonder how lax we as a society can get before the pendulum swings back the other way?

Top Bottom