corporal punishment - never did me any harm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oyyy I'm only two years older than you :smile: In what way do you think our children are treated better?

It's less acceptable to use violence against them, and their needs, feelings, ambitions and desires are taken more seriously. The change is especially noticeable when it comes to girls. These are good things.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It's less acceptable to use violence against them, and their needs, feelings, ambitions and desires are taken more seriously. The change is especially noticeable when it comes to girls. These are good things.

How about the increased use of the electronic nannies (TV, Video Games, Computers) leading to lack of exercise, social intercourse and the requirement to teach parents how to play with their children?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Are you seriously telling me that you have not seen a change in the attitude of the youth in the last 30+ years. When I was in my teens the thought of getting caught by the Police for wrong-doing was terrifying. Nowadays it has no impact at all unless the teen is already in licence of the like as they know the "Feds" can't touch them. The pendulum I refer to is the attitude of society that doing nothing, turning a blind eye, reporting nothing, allowing bad behaviour to go unpunished or ever rewarded is the right approach to take.

I was never in fear of the police unless I was in their care. :thumbsup: Kids are kids and they rarely think things through when getting up to mischief. I still fall prey to neglecting to take into account the downsides when I'm up to no good and take all 'punishment' on the chin. Fear of the consequences doesn't really control the behaviour of children - they simply become more devious and try harder not to get caught.

What has changed is the unwillingness of youngsters to accept responsibility for their actions when caught.

By all means take up the crusade against declining standards and don't turn a blind eye, report all incidents and remonstrate with poor behaviour and persuade your immediate friends, neighbours and acquaintances to take up your cause. It will make a fascinating case study.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
How about the increased use of the electronic nannies (TV, Video Games, Computers) leading to lack of exercise, social intercourse and the requirement to teach parents how to play with their children?

Again, I'm not sure exactly what your complaint is. You seem to be conflating problems with symptoms, and with things that aren't really problems. And it's unclear how hitting children would help them take more exercise, or improve the quality of their play.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I was never in fear of the police unless I was in their care. :thumbsup: Kids are kids and they rarely think things through when getting up to mischief. I still fall prey to neglecting to take into account the downsides when I'm up to no good and take all 'punishment' on the chin. Fear of the consequences doesn't really control the behaviour of children - they simply become more devious and try harder not to get caught.

What has changed is the unwillingness of youngsters to accept responsibility for their actions when caught.

By all means take up the crusade against declining standards and don't turn a blind eye, report all incidents and remonstrate with poor behaviour and persuade your immediate friends, neighbours and acquaintances to take up your cause. It will make a fascinating case study.

I dispute this entirely. I have witnessed wanton acts of vandalism carried out by teens with an end goal of encouraging the police to be called so they can 1/ attack them, 2/be chased by them 3/try and damage their vehicles.

A majority (or a large minority) of todays youth have no fear or respect for the law or its enforcers.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Again, I'm not sure exactly what your complaint is. You seem to be conflating problems with symptoms, and with things that aren't really problems. And it's unclear how hitting children would help them take more exercise, or improve the quality of their play.

I was moving off topic with the flow of your post regarding better parenting.

twobiker

I asked what the individuals would do.
Difficult for me as I have two girls and they wouldn't respond even to bullies at school, all my words of "just punch them " were wasted , in the end I went and saw his mother and it stopped immediately, I don't know what she did and at the time I did not care, still don't actually.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
It doesn't follow though. As a society we set standards of behaviour. In private we can behave how we like (he says typing, in his undies, holding a plant pot on his head, singing Bat Out of Hell*) but we know we can't do this in the company of others.

So the question is, what has gone wrong which makes people think it is acceptable to do so. The answer lies less with the individual and more with society. What has broken down which makes people not give two hoots about the societal norms they live in.

Introducing a big stick allowing us to beat everyone, does nothing to change what's gone wrong. We are smacking the symptom on the head, not the cause.

*I'd just like to clarify I'm not really doing that (just now)

+1 well explained, and in some way it was what I was trying to get at (but failing on a long and winding road with a stop at a cafe for tea and cakes).

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I would love to live where you live.
SW2. It's not expensive. And we have a great bus service!

I did say 'improved' but what I meant was that young people have become more serious, more responsible, more diligent and harder working. I'm not entirely sure that's all to the good.

Top Bottom