Correct BB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I need to replace the BB on my Giant Defy2.
It's a BC 1.37x24 Road.
Will THIS be the replacement I need as it's sold as a Shimano Tiagra RS500 Bottom Bracket 1.37 x 24 English Hollowtech II but the illustration on eBay is for the one I want.

8F68A335-8736-4A49-8357-7C9EF6972661.jpeg

Ta

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Yes, should be good.
Hollowtech II.
English Thread.

I've also fitted the following to a 2009 Giant Defy FYI

Shimano Ultegra 6800 Bottom Bracket << this one requires a different size tool to fit it.

Shimano Tiagra 4700 Bottom Bracket

Shimano Tiagra 4600 Bottom Bracket

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I’m happy changing like for like, thanks. I’ve got about 5000 miles out of this one. That’ll do me.

U

User6179

Am I right in thinking the hollowtech BBs have different size cups now and you need a new sized spanner to fit them?

iluvmybike

Über Member
The bb should come with the adapter for the normal size cups when u buy it - though some unscrupulous places whip it out of the box and sell it separately!!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Am I right in thinking the hollowtech BBs have different size cups now and you need a new sized spanner to fit them?

The Ultegra and Dura-Ace HT BBs have a smaller outer diameter (as noted upthread by @Rooster1) - you either need a different spanner or an adapter (my BB tool came with an adapter). They thread into the same size BB shell as the 105/Tiagra models though.

clog

The Newer Dura-Ace and Ultegra/BB-R60 have a smaller outside diameter and will need a new tool or an adapter to fit older tools. (this is usually supplied).

The b/b that was initially quoted, Tiagra/RS500 is a standard fitting which has been used for years and should fit any tool.

Top Bottom