Correct etiquette/behavior for withdrawing an acknowledgement/gesture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Any of you ever waved at a driver in a car(obviously) who toots their horn and you think it's for you,but it isn't? As you find when you see someone else waving at the driver.:blush:
Nobody sees you do it so it's fine. The driver is looking at who they were beeping at and everybody else is looking at the car.

Drago

Legendary Member
Any of you ever waved at a driver in a car(obviously) who toots their horn and you think it's for you,but it isn't? As you find when you see someone else waving at the driver.:blush:
I used to work with a guy that had a white Volvo C30. Nice motor.

Anyway, i was drivng along one day when a white C30 came razzing up behind me. Thinking it was Lee from word Im laughing as I flip him the bird and give him the onanist sign.

A mile or so later I turned off, and as I did so I could suddenly see that it wasn't Lee from work...

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You can't save face now, just make an appointment with your local optician in order to avoid a recurrence, unless of course the woman you waved to is your local optician.

She looked just like the woman i thought it was! Grey shortish hair and her dog was a
Nobody sees you do it so it's fine. The driver is looking at who they were beeping at and everybody else is looking at the car.
Yeah,but it's one of those moments where your hand is up in the air and you think how to get it back down asap.:blush:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had someone in a silver coloured Peugeot car beep and wave at me yesterday. He was waving quite vigorously at me,through his wound down passenger window,so he must've must've known me,but i just did not recognise him in that second or so as he passed by. I've been trying to think who i know owns a silver Peugeot 205 '15 plate.🤔 Silver/grey cars are two a penny. Don't the drivers realise this?

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I'd have done that "knob head" gesture where it looks like you're describing with your hand an enormous, curved imaginary member which is growing out of your forehead.
You don't see anyone do that these days, so as well as being mildly insulting, at the same time it would have a certain a 80s whimsy and retro charm about it.

You are Jasper AICMFP.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I was waiting by the side of the road to be picked up by my mum after a school club. It was getting dusky and visibility was low.
Her car came round the corner and slowed down so I opened the door threw my school bag in and jumped in the back seat.
Only it wasn’t my mum it was a random man who just stared at me.
I was only about 10! Oh the shame.

Kryton521

Über Member
I'd have done that "knob head" gesture where it looks like you're describing with your hand an enormous, curved imaginary member which is growing out of your forehead.
You don't see anyone do that these days, so as well as being mildly insulting, at the same time it would have a certain a 80s whimsy and retro charm about it.
Err....... s'cuse me Mr! I do still do that. Mostly to drivers of metal weapons.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I find it's much more embarrassing when I meet people who clearly know me well enough to greet me by name, but I haven't a clue who they are. Mrs A_T always knows, when I don't introduce her to someone.

I've given up trying to work it out while I chat to them fishing for clues and just ask them how I know them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I find it's much more embarrassing when I meet people who clearly know me well enough to greet me by name, but I haven't a clue who they are.
A random stranger came up to me at the family gathering after my dad's funeral. He was chatting away as if he were an old friend of mine but I was completely unaware of who he was. It turned out that he WAS an old friend of mine. I hadn't seen him for 20 years, but we'd been mates for 15 years before that so it was a shock to have forgotten him***.

*** I actually think that I suffered brain damage when I was knocked out by carbon monoxide poisoning a few years before that. I have had the same problem recognising other people. I have a dreadful problem following TV drama series because I often can't remember the names and faces of characters. ("Oh, I forgot that so-and-so said something to someone else about, er something or other!") It is quite handy though because I can recycle great TV series after a few years and not remember the plots from first time! :laugh:

Top Bottom