correct rear hub spacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petmcgratt

Hi,
Looking for some advice,

wanting to get a single speed rear wheel for my road bike that has horizontal drop outs. The distance between the horizontal drop outs is 125mm. What should be the width of the rear hub spacing on the rear wheel be to get it to fit these 125mm dropouts.

thanks
peter

Dan B

Disengaged member
125mm, for preference

If you're measuring between the inside faces of the dropouts, that's the same measurement as an axle measured "OLN"

That said, 120 and 130 are more usual measurements for this gap, so perhaps you're not measuring between the inside faces. In that case, do so ;-)

MikeMc

Über Member
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sp-ss.html#spacing

Your 125mm is probably 126mm, an older spacing for 6 and 7 speed hubs.

120mm is a popular size for single speed hubs and the 6mm difference means you will just have to undo the track nuts/QR lever just a little bit further. Over time I imagine the rear spacing will gradually conform to the width of the single speed hub. I'm assuming that with a width of 126mm the frame is made of steel.

OP
OP
P

petmcgratt

thanks guys for the help. I have sourced a guy on ebay who sells fixed/single speed rear wheels and gives an option of rear hub spacing ranging from 120 up to 135 mm. He does do a 126mm rear hub spacing so I think I will go for this one. Thanks again.

Top Bottom