Corruption with wages.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Why is this corruption, and not you just not bothering to ask what the company policy is on overtime rates? My employers used to pay time and a quarter weekdays, time and a half Saturday and double time Sunday. (Unless you were grade PE4 or above, in which case overtime was unpaid.)

Reactions: C R

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
We used to get it too

Day-off working/Saturdays = time & half
Rest-day working/Sundays = double-time

It stopped about 10 years ago, now it’s about ‘time & 1/3rd’?
I try not to do any extras

yes we went from time and a half to time and a third for normal overtime , with 1.5 on sat and 2 times on a sunday a number of years ago We also did day/ nights with a night shift premium but now we do early /lates which means i can finish around midnight or later dependant on production target but we lost about 1.5 % shift allowance overall .

“Is that all, sir? Only we've got stuff to finish before our knocking-off time, you see, and if we stay late we have to make more money to pay our overtime, and if the lads is a bit tired we ends up earning the money faster'n we can make it, which leads to a bit of what I can only call a conundrum—"
"You mean that if you do overtime you have to do more overtime to pay for it?" said Moist, still pondering how illogical logical thinking can be if a big enough committee is doing it.
"That's right, sir," said Shady. "And down that road madness lies."
"It's a very short road," said Moist, nodding.”

― Terry Pratchett, Making Money

presta

Guru
My last job interview in California
Them: You get paid this much.
Me: What if you need me to work extra?
Them: You get paid the same no matter how many hours you work
Me: So I can work less than 40 hour a week and still get paid the same?
Them: No

We got called into the conference room by the boss one day:

"It's been noticed who goes home at 5pm. Anyone who doesn't work until 7pm will go to the top of the redundancy list."

End of conference.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Corruption? Seriously? I suggest you have a word with the wages department. That should have been your first stop, not here and starting a thread with a rather strong assumption.

There is probably a simple reason, but you won't know what it is unless to ask the correct people at the company.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Seems pretty standard to me.

Saturday 4 hours x1.5 and 4 hours x2.

Sunday double bubble all day.

Lovely

It’s not that though. Sat is double ALL day, but the way it’s paid is split. For example instead of 7x2 they will do 6 x 1.5 with 3.50 x2.
It is been made complicated for what reason?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
We got called into the conference room by the boss one day:

"It's been noticed who goes home at 5pm. Anyone who doesn't work until 7pm will go to the top of the redundancy list."

End of conference.

Some people usually want redundancy, nice pay off then find a fresh start.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It’s not that though. Sat is double ALL day, but the way it’s paid is split. For example instead of 7x2 they will do 6 x 1.5 with 3.50 x2.

7 x 2 =14

6 x 1.5 = 9
3.5 x 2 = 7 - Total is 16 so you are getting more ? Unless you've got it wrong.

presta

Guru
Some people usually want redundancy, nice pay off then find a fresh start.
There were only two people going home at 5pm at that time, one was up for retirement in a couple of months, and the other was me. I carried on going home at 5pm and outlasted the boss. Word was that his fiance's family owned a shoe factory, and he'd been offered a seat on the board when they were wed, so he just came to ours in the interim whilst he was waiting.

I've heard of overtime being paid at one rate up to a certain number of hours then double time above that. However that was only for 12 hour shift workers who did double shifts or left early to come back for their wrong shift as emergency or holiday cover.

They could end up doing so many hours they got paid so much they became the highest paid employees by salary some years. Especially since they fiddled holidays to give each other overtime. They knew perfectly well how up fiddle the system to their benefit. If any manager tried to cut overtime they just stopped doing any overtime at all which for a 24/7 operation with a maximum of only 3 weeks shutdown a year meant a line shutdown. Which meant a couple of days to get going again. That didn't happen more than once a you'd probably guess why.

Slick

Guru

Its their way of giving you a deal.

Top Bottom