Cost for staying in care homes for the elderly.....scary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As previously stated the auntie is 96.
Broke her hip in October.
Had Covid twice.
Prior to that she was sharp and quite mobile.
Now back in her flat she is starting to struggle.
She has a carer 4 times a day but sadly it looks like a care home beckons.
1st one I phoned......£1500 PER WEEK !!
2nd one......£1100 per week.
She worked till she was 80 and has some savings but that is not going to last long.
Might have been better peeing it against the wall (or the female equivilent)

13 rider

Guru
Yes I'm in the position of basically signing over an unknown amount of my Mum's house on the event of her death to cover care home costs . She and my dad worked hard and did without stuff to afford the house and bring us up now the care home system is eating it all away
If your young enough it will pay you to see a solicitor and sign the part of the house over to kids etc

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
North of £1,500 a week is common, based upon research my sister carried out. We are trying to keep our Mum out of a home, partly for cost and partly because we expect she will deteriorate in one.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes I'm in the position of basically signing over an unknown amount of my Mum's house on the event of her death to cover care home costs . She and my dad worked hard and did without stuff to afford the house and bring us up now the care home system is eating it all away
If your young enough it will pay you to see a solicitor and sign the part of the house over to kids etc
Yep. We have done that for our kids. Sadly to late for the auntie though.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Throw in dementia care as well and it can get even pricier. They can eat up your money at a far faster rate than you ever earned it. My wife and I spent years carrying out eldercare duties for our elderly parents. With the exception of my mum who, after a fall, had to go into a care home for the final month of her life, we were able to carry out their wishes of keeping them all in their own homes. I really sympathise with families that have to resort to care homes, as I really don't know what you do when the money runs out. Good luck to anyone who finds themselves in that position.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
... as I really don't know what you do when the money runs out. Good luck to anyone who finds themselves in that position.

What happens is when the resident's remaining savings drop below a certain threshold the local authority pays the fees (as long as the care home rates are the same or less than the local authority are able to pay- they have a certain maximum rate they will pay, above this rate and there is a top-up fee)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Throw in dementia care as well and it can get even pricier. They can eat up your money at a far faster rate than you ever earned it. My wife and I spent years carrying out eldercare duties for our elderly parents. With the exception of my mum who, after a fall, had to go into a care home for the final month of her life, we were able to carry out their wishes of keeping them all in their own homes. I really sympathise with families that have to resort to care homes, as I really don't know what you do when the money runs out. Good luck to anyone who finds themselves in that position.
I understand that when your savings get down to £23,500 the state takes over.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same here with MIL. Nursing even more expensive.

MIL's health has been much better TBH in the home, but she moans, like she did at home. It's just like prison at the moment with covid. It's crap.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Don’t worry Johnson promised a ready made plan when he took over as PM back in 2019.

Funny that it hasn’t appeared. He has an 80 seat majority and could railroad any policy he wants.

The trouble is it costs lots of money and the tax payer doesn’t want it until they suddenly need it by which time it is too late.

Remember May’s dementia tax which cost her the election.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I understand that when your savings get down to £23,500 the state takes over.

Correct.

We have a deferred charge from the council on the house.

MIL already had a care package, so the home's fee is capped, but if we sold the house, it would be a private arrangement and would cost £20k more per annum.

Top tip, make sure the person is in receipt of all the benefits they are entitled to before going in a home. Thing is, if fit before that need, you are stuffed. MIL has bern ill/disabled for 15 plus years.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My M-i-L went into a home last year. Sadly she's not in a position to manage her finances, but SWMBO's having to go through the courts in Northern Ireland to take them over.

It's been going on since last March and the bill's going up and up. Solicitor's fees to manage this have to be added but to date it's somewhere north of £50k.

F-i-L is in their house but everything's in her name rather than his. It's a complicated process but basically it'll all be gone bar a tiny amount, although he does get to stay in the house.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
What happens is when the resident's remaining savings drop below a certain threshold the local authority pays the fees (as long as the care home rates are the same or less than the local authority are able to pay- they have a certain maximum rate they will pay, above this rate and there is a top-up fee)
20 years ago I used to work for a social services and nothing has changed. People are genuinely shocked, at the costs and as above once the money runs out and its 'just' the combination of local authorities money / benefits and occasionally health costs the difference between what is funded by the state and privately can by substantial and families having to move loved ones as the costs ( the excess / difference is more to do with what is classed as hotel / surroundings costs not actually care costs) - also moving money has to be done at least 7 years in advance (or it was) before care is needed, the best (rare) cases involving a 'trust' set up. Most of us don't or can't afford this set up, like planning for our death we don't really want to do it. Basically it has been a mess since community care / mass usage of care homes for (mainly) elderly. Final point all care homes are business to make money and will tell you what you want hear. Ask other relatives for their views and recommendations / CQC report.

Don’t worry Johnson promised a ready made plan when he took over as PM back in 2019.

Funny that it hasn’t appeared. He has an 80 seat majority and could railroad any policy he wants.

The trouble is it costs lots of money and the tax payer doesn’t want it until they suddenly need it by which time it is too late.

Remember May’s dementia tax which cost her the election.
Any chance to turn it political!

Put any assets into a trust then the state can't touch it.

Top Bottom