Cost of hiring Boris Bikes to double

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siadwell

Guru
It takes only three comments before someone starts on the "cyclists are not exempt from the rules of the road" spiel. It's an article about the hire costs going up (and in fact a big chunk of the article is talking about tube and bus fare increases).

I'm just off to post a comment about motorists who RLJ, speed, have defective vehicles and apply their makeup whilst driving (witnessed by me earlier this week) on the article about whether the fuel duty rise should be postponed...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
it's a shame. I'm a casual user about once a month, so the daily charge for me goes up from £1 to £2. Overall it will cost me about £12!

My understanding is that the actual hire charges remain the same. ie free for any journey under 30 min and £1 up to 60 mins.

As long as the cost remains less than a single fair in zone one I will still use them. The trick is to keep your ride to 30mins so it is free.

Kookas

Über Member
Shame but they'll still be the cheapest transport round central London at £2 a day.

What are the bikes like to ride? I was thinking maybe next time I go to London, I'll hire a Boris for myself if it's only £2.. that is nothing, really. A tenner a week if you commute with them.

Davidc

Guru
What are the bikes like to ride? I was thinking maybe next time I go to London, I'll hire a Boris for myself if it's only £2.. that is nothing, really. A tenner a week if you commute with them.
A bit heavy but London's flat so it doesn't matter.

I like the ride, they feel solid and reassuring. BUT before you take one out of its stand do check the tyres and do have a quick look over it. I took one with a soft rear tyre once and it was awful.

If you want one for a week the usage charge per day goes down if you book up front. Don't know how much as I've only got up to 2 consecutive days.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I found Boris bikes to have a lot of road presence - for a bike - so I felt surprisingly safe and secure charging around the West End.

There's been some problems with gear slippage under load - it happened to me a couple of times which left me bogged down when I didn't want to be.

Other than that, great fun.

Kookas

Über Member
A bit heavy but London's flat so it doesn't matter.

I like the ride, they feel solid and reassuring. BUT before you take one out of its stand do check the tyres and do have a quick look over it. I took one with a soft rear tyre once and it was awful.

If you want one for a week the usage charge per day goes down if you book up front. Don't know how much as I've only got up to 2 consecutive days.

Didn't realise London is flat. Living in Birmingham, it's hard to imagine anything being flat - the city is literally one giant hill

Top Bottom