Cost of wheel truing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
The reason I pay is I start out with a round wheel with a bit of lateral distortion and end up with a true wheel but in the the shape of a 50 pence piece. We have a new shop opened near me and they are going to be running truing courses which I will certainly attend. I think it will be a good investment.

the snail

Guru
Don't you need a wheel stand to really do it properly yourself though?
No, you can do a perfectly good job on the bike, but it would be easier/more convenient with a stand.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Truing wheels is not rocket science, after 8 years of fettling ive got a good feel for the wheel. There is loads of info in book form and youtube vids. I bought the tacx wheel jig when I started. Now I have a stand I purchased from The Bike Inn(Alf and Terasa Webb) which is a lot better than the tacx jig. I used to practice on old wheels from the tip before tackling my decent wheels and I find it relaxing especially on a warm day with a pot of tea......

Shanks

I've had it done twice. The first was at a lbs and they charged £16 and took three days. The next time I took it to my preferred lbs (and where I have bought 3 bikes from, they were closed the first time) and he just took the wheel and did it in front of me there and then. Watching him showed there is a real skill this, but as with most things professionals make it look so very simple. The cost the second time round? I agreed to put £10 into their preferred charity tin in the shop. Just part of the deal when you buy a bike from us he said.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
The price of a pint.

That's the difference between supporting your LBS or buying stuff on-line and only going there when you're stuck...

bornagainst

Über Member
As long as I go in at a quiet time, the lbs where I bought my bike will do it for free if it's just a tweak...

He replaced a spoke to trued a badly crooked wheel for £6.

I think he's on the cheap side though.

endoman

10 quid for two wheels, took it in fri pm, picked up Sat am, had other jobs done as well. When I can get it done for a fiver I can't see the point in investing in the stuff to DIY.

Top Bottom