Cost of wheel truing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy68

Regular
As long as I go in at a quiet time, the lbs where I bought my bike will do it for free if it's just a tweak...

He replaced a spoke to trued a badly crooked wheel for £6.

I think he's on the cheap side though.
Hi,where about did you get your wheel done
Cheers Ed

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
10 quid for two wheels, took it in fri pm, picked up Sat am, had other jobs done as well. When I can get it done for a fiver I can't see the point in investing in the stuff to DIY.

Truing a wheel should consist of truing the wheel laterally as well as its roundness, balancing the spokes tension and stressing the wheel. Your LBS won't do that, of that I'm almost certain. I've never come across one that does the job properly.
That is a good enough reason to learn to do it yourself I think.

U

User6179

Truing a wheel should consist of truing the wheel laterally as well as its roundness, balancing the spokes tension and stressing the wheel. Your LBS won't do that, of that I'm almost certain. I've never come across one that does the job properly.
That is a good enough reason to learn to do it yourself I think.

Totally agree , if you snap a spoke the LBS will stick another spoke in and tighten it till the wheel is back to true , I have tried 3 different LBS in the past and none have balanced the spoke tension or took the egg out the wheel if it had one, so I just learnt to fix it myself .

£14 at evans with a replacement spoke and they tried to sort out a flat spot.
Did they make any headway with the flatspot?
I think £10 for the trueing and a pound per spoke is about usual round these parts. For which you might hope tensioning would be included.
Sadly this is often not the case, as with a wheel I left at the shop, which was returned with a habit of springing out of true under load. Very disappointing especially as they tried to sell me a new wheel.
This drove me to DIY and I have not looked back since.
An old set of forks make for a good stand.

Top Bottom