Cost per mile of cycling

What's your average cycling cost in pence per mile?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Caviare is quite pricey in most places I find:tongue:
Waiting for you to post a list of cycle friendly cafes that serve caviar. Though I might wait until the app comes out.

If you include the capital cost and leave out depreciation, then my mtn bike is costing me about 4quid a mile at the moment. All the others are in pennies.

U

User6179

About 10p a mile for me, would be 15p if I used a LBS .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sigh , RTSP - or was reading not a strong point ;)
What's Real Time Streaming Protocol got to do with this? ;)
I read it as "put the total amount you have spent on your bike in this box == original price + extra equipment + servicing costs"
I read it as "COST OF BIKE" = BOX "+ gear & service?" as if you've got to add up receipts anyway, it doesn't seem any easier than checking the tracker for the mileage and doing some division.

Ciar

Veteran
Regardless of what the cost is, it beats sitting/standing on a poxy tube or being in the car unless i am desperate, the freedom and benefits of cycling far outweighs the cost for me personally.

but on the basis the calculator just told me the new bike has already paid for itself, time to go buy another! ;-)

Last edited:

mattobrien

Guru
I hate it when I have to thin about things like this.

The easiest one for me is my more recent winter bike, that is coming in at £2.19 / mile, although I have only covered 1,164 miles on it since Nov, so plenty of scope for the cost / mile to come down as the mileage goes up.

My summer bike gets more scary as it is still well over £1 / mile and that is with three seasons use and plenty of miles. On-going costs aren't too bad, but I suspect I'll struggle to get it below £1 / mile as I fancy some new wheels at some point...

Finally looking at my Lotus, not a bike but worth including for comparison, that is coming in at around £1.53 a mile, over the nine years of ownership. That includes depreciation, insurance, servicing and fuel estimates. It would be lower if I drove it more. Must try to do that this year and try to break the 2,000 miles in a year for the first time in a long, long time.

si_c

Guru
OK, I'm ignoring capital purchases for my calculations, if only because I own my bikes outright, so there are no ongoing "costs" other than replacing consumables and wear and tear. Also not including cake. I'm a realist. I'd eat it anyway.

For the last year for my road bike (not including the MTB) I've purchased the following

2xTyres (£9 each)
5xInner Tubes (£9 on offer at halfords, minus BC discount)
BC Membership - £32
Puncture repair patches (not sure, probably around £5)
Bar Tape (£6)
Brake Pads (£10)

I have spent other stuff on cycling, most notably tools, but I'm not counting them in as a cost per mile, largely because they are not solely used for my bike, and they are a one off purchase. Unlike Servicing.

This adds up to £80, I'm going to round it to £100, just in case I've missed something off.

I've ridden 2500 miles in the last calendar year on that bike for a total cost of 2.5p per mile. If I limit it to commuting miles only, then it is 10p per mile cost.

Quite reasonable I think.

Mile195

Veteran
If I only count the cost of usual parts I get through each year, it's below 5p a mile for definite (I do my own work, so no labour cost there). However, If you start to include things like the original cost of the bike, and parts that get replaced less often than once a year (like wheels for example) then it's much more.

Of course if you want to be even more accurate, I could say I need to include certain food and such. For example, I eat another snack a couple of hours before leaving work for my cycle home (I commute 20 miles each way), that I wouldn't need if I was not riding.

All that aside though, the benefit in terms of fitness and the fact that I enjoy it (even my commute, sometimes) is immeasurable.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
On seeing the size of my lunch, several of my friends have commented that cycling can't possibly be saving me any money... possibly true, but I do get to eat a lot of cake :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On seeing the size of my lunch, several of my friends have commented that cycling can't possibly be saving me any money... possibly true, but I do get to eat a lot of cake :smile:
I agree with both @si_c (I'd eat it anyway) and @Mile195 (fitness dividend) but try to eat healthy food as much as possible. I fear that far too many cyclists think that they can eat stodge just because they ride... but that's probably a bit off-topic for this discussion if we're not including the extra cost of bad foods :laugh:

si_c

Guru
I unfortunately work with a poor chap whose job is to analyse the nutritional content of food and produce reports on how to stop us all getting fat.

Lunch yesterday apparently had 23 spoons of sugar in.

Top Bottom