Cotswold Expedition: The antidote to overpriced events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glover Fan

Err, I think so. Rode 100 miles on Sunday, but haven't rode since making sure my legs are fully recharged.

Weather looks dry, so i'm gonna take the mudguards off today (no doubt it will piss it down now)

I've got GPS navigation from the first control, but am going to be relying solely on a routesheet and groups to the first control. My Garmin couldn't hold more than 100 coursepoints! lol!

382 people taking part tomorrow, which is apparently the highest attendance ever and thankfully 83 doing the 200km! So i'm sure i'll find someone plodding along at my pace.

D

Deleted member 1258

I hope I'm ready, been riding easy on the commute all week and we have had a quiet week at work, this will be the longest ride I've done for years, I'm doing the Cotswold outing and will be riding out from Coventry so it will be over 100 miles covered. From the HQ to Tanworth In Arden I'm on roads I don't know, but from there to Ilmington I'm on roads I know, from there to Wellford I'm on roads I don't ride very often, then back on roads I know till we get to Ullenall. Looking forward to it but I'll be knackered tomorrow night.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I will be going off the route card only so i expect to get lost seeing as i've never ridden round that part of the world !! Riding fixed so if you see a crumpled wreck halfway round,have pity !
I take it the route info will be dished out at the HQ or have i got to do some frantic printing while i'm here at work ?????

frank9755

Cyclist
An excellent event - well organised and with a wonderful tea at the end!

Good weather and a nice route with pretty Cotswold villages and some fun lanes to zip along, but not ridiculously hilly.
I was wearing my CycleChat jersey but didn't recognise any other forum members.
sad.gif

For the first 20 miles or so I rode with the fast group - which mainly consisted of people from Crewe CC - then a mechanical forced me to stop. I then rode with one other person the rest of the way and we joined up with two others for the latter stages, which worked well. I only rode perhaps two miles after my stop on my own. The fast group took long stops at the controls so two or three times during the rest of the ride we had them swarm past us! I'm not sure I could have stayed with them if I hadn't had had my excuse mechanical stop!

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes an excellent event, with riding the 107km Cotswold Outing and riding to and from Coventry I clocked 119miles for the day, my biggest mileage for years.
I arrived at the HQ about 8:15, I think all the CCer's had left by then as I didn't see anybody. I was trying to ride the event easy as I wasn't sure how I would cope with the distance, I was with a group to start with but the fast boys came past and they all jumped on the back. I did some of the event on my own and some with groups I was catching, or were catching me. I had about 45 minutes at the Wellsbourne Airfield café for lunch and arrived back at the HQ about 2:30. Enjoyed the day but I'm knackered tonight.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Great day out.Did the 212k on the fixed and only had to walk twice on the hills where i could not get speed up (the sharp bend at the bottom ones ! )
Saw the Crewe guys a few times and had good banter,ended up tagging along with a one rider for the last half due to it getting harder to push myself,friendly chat made the miles fly by !
The HQ was a welcome sight at the end and the hospitality was brilliant,thanks the food and the extra cake at the end !
Got home at 11pm with my parcel of cake and biccys much to the delight of my kids this morning !
Rode to work this morning to ease off the stiffness of my legs,roll on next one !

Glover Fan

I too had a great day out!

Excellently organised and the controls were all at well thought of distances and at the tops of hills! The first control was quite a cute little place and did excellent tea and cakes. I wasn't too fond of the garden centre, luckily it was dry, but imagine having to sit outside waiting for food if it was raining? Far too busy, inevitably get a lot of old people having roast dinners at a garden centre on a Sunday. Can't say I was too impressed with the food either, Beans on Toast was only served til 11.30am, so had sausage, chips and beans which was far too much for a mid ride meal. Spent about an hour at this control as well! The final control at the pub was excellent, good atmosphere and the pint of coke and snickers bar went down a treat.

As for the route, quite superb if i'm honest, decent fast first 30km. As it was my first 200km event I was determined to not get sucked into tagging along with the fast groups at the start, so inevitably I got passed quite a few times, then another chap called Jon (Like me!) who also; like me rode a Focus started chatting, nice bloke from Rugby and we paired up together til the first control where we were in a random group of about 15. The hill just before the first control was meant to be the steepest, but was actually quite a nice ascent. I felt really good and arrived there about 10am I think. Spent half an hour there and got chatting to some of the lads and lasses from Derby Mercury CC.

We all set off together for the second stretch and again, nice rolling cotswold terrain and in general I was impressed with the road surface all round. The day before I tinkered my ride height and rose my seatpost up by 3/4 of a cm and my god did it make a difference. Before I knew it we were at the second control. Made good time and was there by 1.

Ended up chatting and eating away at the garden centre and before I knew it, it was 2PM. I generally only like to spend 30 mins at a control max, but my food took 25 minutes to be served and I spent 10 minutes queueing so meh, I've already had my moan about this control.

Cracked on the next 40km which was good, some lovely little hamlets and villages and it was quite a lumpy section. I wouldn't say it was a hilly ride, but it was rarely "flat". I was still riding along with Derby Mercury at this point and we was all getting along really well. A couple of people did appear to start struggling though, but I suppose 150km in, it is to be expected.

Had a good rest at the 3rd control and set off again. I now faced a bit of a personal dilemma, I ended up being first up to the tops of hills most of the time and freewheeling away of everyone, but because I'd built up such decent rapport with everyone in our little group of 8 and mindful that I was in unchartered distance territory after about 160km, I didn't want to run the risk of riding alone for the last 60km, so I stuck along with them and it was still fantastic, my only disappointment was getting back to the control at 7.15pm (I think we were nearly last back!)

All in all though, a fantastic day out, 200km wasn't as hard as I imagined, The fairy didn't visit me, but I think it visited a fair few other people and to be fair I looked at my tyres just now and I do have a stone stuck in the rubber! I am now officially a randoneé! My legs feel fine today as well, if for a bit of pain behind my right knee! Gutted I didn't see anybody from here, I was wearing team katusha pro kit, so thought I might stand out lol.

frank9755

Cyclist
GF,

Glad you had a good day and congratulations on doing your first 200!

Hope your knee is settling down. One thing you may want to think about is that, while knee pain is complicated to diagnose, one common cause of it at the back of the knee is your saddle being too high.

I agree about the garden centre being slow (and not serving beans on toast!
ohmy.gif
). Having, been badly caught out by slow controls in the past, I now just order whatever they have that is quick. So I got a sausage bap made straight away at the garden centre and saved myself the 20-30 minute wait.

Albert

Über Member
I entered but did not ride due to catching a heavy cold which is still keeping me off my bike. At my age and with my medical history I cannot afford to do things when I am less than 100% :sad:

It sounds like everyone had a brilliant day - I'll be there next year with a bit more luck.

Glover Fan

GF,

Glad you had a good day and congratulations on doing your first 200!

Hope your knee is settling down. One thing you may want to think about is that, while knee pain is complicated to diagnose, one common cause of it at the back of the knee is your saddle being too high.

I agree about the garden centre being slow (and not serving beans on toast!
ohmy.gif
). Having, been badly caught out by slow controls in the past, I now just order whatever they have that is quick. So I got a sausage bap made straight away at the garden centre and saved myself the 20-30 minute wait.
Knee was fine as of yesterday. Because of the weather I haven't ventured out again yet, will do tomorrow. I may look at reducing the saddle height a little bit, cheers!

I was just absolutely perplexed and stunned that they wouldn't serve beans on toast when it takes no time at all!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Yep the garden centre was a funny old thing with the regulars queing up for Sunday lunch,still did not dampen the day though and my upper leg muscles are speaking to me now !

Top Bottom