Cottage Pie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Steady slo-mo... I'm sure Hendersons won't go global for a few years yet!
A few years ago, we were invited to a friend's place in Barbados. We went to a local reserve/sanctuary (?) for trees. The guide told us that we were looking at extremely rare specimens of the ones that were used for ingredients in Lee and Perrins.

Herbal cannabis is widely available on the island so we didn't take this too seriously.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Keefs top tip is to add finely chopped raw onion to the sauce mix after cooking just before you top it with the Mash.

As for flavourings I go for both OXO and 'Lee & Perrins' and a good grind of Black Pepper but also a squirt of Tomato Puree and a glug of Red Wine/Sherry but I don't put Garlic in mine.(strange as I put Garlic into a lot of things but it doesn't seem to go well with a Cottage Pie)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Very basic.

Ours, mince, grated carrots, tin of tomatoes, peas, onion, mushrooms, bisto best, worcester sauce and cheesy mash on top if we can (daughter hates cheese).
they must have redefined 'basic' since i last checked :blush:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The key for me is the mince.

Shop bought mince is universally poor, so I use cold cuts from a roast joint minced at home with my venerable old metal hand mincer.

The flavour and texture is way ahead of anything you can buy in a plastic tray.

As the meat is already cooked, all the assembled pie needs is reheating for about 25 mins until the mash starts to brown.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Base
  • 125g mince
  • 70g peas
  • 70g onion
  • 70g cannellini beans
  • 70g carrots
  • 70g mushrooms
  • 140cc stock from veg
  • 5g oil
  • 5g Bovril