Swineherds pie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
I've got some pork left over from Sunday lunch and rather than stir fry it I was thinking of using it as a variation of shepherd's pie.

Only thing is that I never see it in recipie books or in the supermarket, its always shepherd's or cottage pie.

Anyone tried this and had any success, and if so what did you add to the pork mix?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Go for it. I'm no chef but mince with a topping of mashed spuds would go down nicely here.

PK99

Legendary Member
A recipe!?!

Minced meat. Any form
Onions
Garlic
Peas maybe
Carrots maybe
Other veg maybe
Stock
Maybe tomatoes
Herbs/spices take your pick.

Cook off
Put in dish
Top with mashed potato

Oven at 160C for 25 mins

Job done

alicat

Legendary Member
It would go nicely in sarnies, especially if you have some leftover apple sauce or sage and onion stuffing. Better than a bland version of shepherds' pie.

Jameshow

Veteran
I've got some pork left over from Sunday lunch and rather than stir fry it I was thinking of using it as a variation of shepherd's pie.

Only thing is that I never see it in recipie books or in the supermarket, its always shepherd's or cottage pie.

Anyone tried this and had any success, and if so what did you add to the pork mix?

I wouldn't mince it.. just roughly chop it up!

Peas and carrots in parsley sauce and mash on top would be nice too.

OP
OP
R

Red17

Veteran
I'm not sure pork mince is a good idea.
Isn't that what sausages are?

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'm not suggesting that pork shouldn't be used in a pie, just that using pork mince to emulate shepherds pie will result in a pitiful imitation.

I’ve made Cottage Pie with pork mince and it was fine. Shepherds Pie, Cottage Pie, they are all much of a muchness. Can’t really spoil it too much using pork.

Top Bottom