Couch to 1400k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Are they doing it? I didn't know that.
Now you know :biggrin:
Do you think that kind of information is of any interest to anyone other than me?
Not that technical stuff about heart rate kind of info: stuff like how you managed to ride 300km in the dark soaking wet, then your front light failed but the moon guided you so now you decide to carry a spare light instead of waterproofs because they are not use anyway.
Very interesting these sort of things.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru

Not that technical stuff about heart rate kind of info: stuff like how you managed to ride 300km in the dark soaking wet, then your front light failed but the moon guided you so now you decide to carry a spare light instead of waterproofs because they are not use anyway.

That's a very Scottish response. "I didnae ken." (I didn't know) With the anwer being "Well, ye ken noo." (Well you know now)

It was a dark and stormy night, a werewolf looked out of his lair, said "Sod this" and went back to bed. Slowly a lone figure on a bicycle hove into sight. He was at a 45 degree angle in the 70mph sidewind. An occasional gust to 95 would knock him over and he would slowly pick himself up and carry on. Most of the left side of his body was numb, and due to the angle his arm was hanging, he was pretty sure his shoulder was broken. "Never mind" he said "That's 8 kilometres in. Only 1392 to go."

To be continued.............

Only commuted yesterday. Weather crap so going to the gym today again. Looking at new Garmins as my old 500 is pretty worn and not up to the job. Considering a 1000 bundle with all the sensors. Will need battery packs. Thinking on buying 3, one to carry and two to leave in dropbags.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
You might want to get used to riding in less than clement weather conditions as you're bound to encounter some on LEL :smile:

You're joking? I thought in early August there would be balmy climes all the way!

I know, I know. I don't like frost though, and I don't have appropriate clothing. Mid-week the temperature is due to rise a bit, so I'll skip work and get out then.

You're joking? I thought in early August there would be balmy climes all the way!
:smile:

Read this then go back and read the whole thread. Or read the book he wrote based on the thread

2013 wasn't as bad, but there was one night of driving rain where visibility was so poor I had to keep checking the GPS to see which way the road was bending, and I had to walk through standing water a foot deep.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
:smile:

Read this then go back and read the whole thread. Or read the book he wrote based on the thread

2013 wasn't as bad, but there was one night of driving rain where visibility was so poor I had to keep checking the GPS to see which way the road was bending, and I had to walk through standing water a foot deep.

That sounds pretty rough!
It may be difficult to work out when I'm serious and when I'm not. I live 120 miles North of the furthest North point on the route. It has rained all day here and hasn't been above 4 degrees. Although I haven't been out on the bike, I did an hour and a half with dog this morning and will do another 3 miles with him tonight. The main difference as I said is that I don't have the bike clothes I need for this weather but do have a decent pair of walking boots and a decent waterproof jacket for walking in. I'll get the bike clothes pretty soon though.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
What clothes is it you need exactly? say and hopefully we can recommend some options which will be reasonable and see you though your training and event.

Emphasising the positives! I've plenty short-sleeve jerseys and bibshorts. I've two good pairs of shoes with spd-sls. I've several pairs of fingerless gloves, some compression tops and assorted baselayers. I've a couple of decent windproof long sleeve tops / jackets. I've one well used but effective pair of biblongs. I've got two substantial hi-viz non-breathable jackets for commuting. Get the fairweather emphasis?

What I don't have is a decent breathable waterproof jacket, decent winter gloves or overshoes. I've got enough to get out if the temperature is above 7 or 8 degrees and isn't too wet. Below that I find fingers and toes lose all circulation.

I intend buying the LEL jacket and gilet. Suggestions welcome for anything else. I had a pair of Endura overshoes that I used for both commuting and leisure rides and although they were a bit of a faff to get on and off they did the job. They've disintegrated with use though.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's a very Scottish response. "I didnae ken." (I didn't know) With the anwer being "Well, ye ken noo." (Well you know now)

It was a dark and stormy night, a werewolf looked out of his lair, said "Sod this" and went back to bed. Slowly a lone figure on a bicycle hove into sight. He was at a 45 degree angle in the 70mph sidewind. An occasional gust to 95 would knock him over and he would slowly pick himself up and carry on. Most of the left side of his body was numb, and due to the angle his arm was hanging, he was pretty sure his shoulder was broken. "Never mind" he said "That's 8 kilometres in. Only 1392 to go."

To be continued.............

Only commuted yesterday. Weather crap so going to the gym today again. Looking at new Garmins as my old 500 is pretty worn and not up to the job. Considering a 1000 bundle with all the sensors. Will need battery packs. Thinking on buying 3, one to carry and two to leave in dropbags.
And you'd not have got as far as Yorkshire.

What are you expecting to be like when it's time to get back in the saddle again? Werewolves and wind aside.

What's the longest you've gone on the shortest amount of sleep?

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
What's the longest you've gone on the shortest amount of sleep?

Cycling? The longest I've gone as I said is 300k, which took me 15 hours. Some of that was foodstops. Averaged 24.5 kph moving, with 6000m of climb.

Otherwise? About 36 hours on around an hour or an hour and a half. I've several times gone to my work on Friday, got home, driven overnight to the South of England, taken the tunnel or a ferry, then driven a substantial distance through France. I once did 1150 miles in 23 hours, counting the tunnel in the time but not the miles, having worked the day before.

Cycling? The longest I've gone as I said is 300k, which took me 15 hours. Some of that was foodstops. Averaged 24.5 kph moving, with 6000m of climb.

Keep that level of fitness up and you will have no problems , their is just the question of doing that for four days straight leaving the final 200km to be done in twenty hours :okay:

Paul

Last edited:

That sounds exactly like the kind of thing I'd be posting at 4am from a ditch :laugh:
:surrender:
6000m? What route/event was that??

(Oh man, I am so far behind on my training it's not even remotely funny.)

Ah, that one. Chapeau! That's an absolute brute.
Have done enough of the route (Three Pistes sportive) to add it to the bucket list. Along with "getting up the Lecht without getting off and pushing"...

But yeah, I'd echo everyone else's sentiments; it's about endurance, longevity and staying mentally toughness when you're lost and it's chucking it down in the middle of nowhere in the dark and you're being chased by dogs, rather than about pure physical fitness. So I'm doubly screwed :smile:

Top Bottom